Dempster Aunu-Oiled Rebuild

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Wildcat

Re: Dempster Aunu-Oiled Rebuild

Post by Wildcat »

Well, I'm finally back to start working on the project again after my back surgery. I've been constantly spraying all the gears and bearings with penetrating oil but everything is still locked up. Does the shaft have to turn to remove the bull gears. Any input where I go from here would be appreciated?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I have written extensively on building Dempster mills. Once you get the guide rods out, and (on an 8 ft) take out the (big gear) shaft tie-down plate off, the gears lift out. The pinions and mainshaft stays in at this point. It will most likely turn after the big gears lift out.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number. IF YOU TALK TO HIM, AND HE HELPS YOU, THEN BUY FROM HIM. IT CREATES GOOD KARMA.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Bill , next thing to do , lift the flat clamp off that holds the bearings in place , this exposes the bull gears , that flat bar is about 2 " wide & about 6" long , you already have the bolts removed
windybob

Post by windybob »

I think that's what I refferred to as the bull gear tie-down plate.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number. IF YOU TALK TO HIM, AND HE HELPS YOU, THEN BUY FROM HIM. IT CREATES GOOD KARMA.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

yes
windybob

Post by windybob »

For everyone wondering......lol.....sometimes I don't use the proper, catalog certified part name. I'm not that smart. The name I use sometimes describes what it does.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Gotcha!
Wildcat

Post by Wildcat »

Bull gears are out but shaft is froze solid in bearing. Thoughts how to remove the shaft? See attached photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

This might be really difficult. Dempsters are tough to get apart when they are locked up tight. Especially when it's an 8 footer, and the pinion gear will not go through the length of the snout like a 6 foot pinion gear will. major surgery might be needed, let's see what we come up with here.

UNder the front of the snout, you should see a set-screw with a nut on it. should look like a straight screwdriver type screw. What this does is to go up in the snout and blocks the outer bearing race from sliding out the front. You have the older type felt oil seal, which incorporates this setscrew. gues before anything else, we should probably see if you can get the nut off, and the setscrew out. if you had another nut like what is on the setscrew, and have enough threads, you could double-nut it, to help with removing the screw. The straight blade screwdriver won't give you much leverage. IF you can start getting it loose, use a lot of oil, and work it back and forth gently and see if it comes out. Even a small vicegrips can get you some better leverage. The worse that can happen, is the the screw breaks off. I've had that happen, but maybe only once. It's not the end of the world, but it's not certainly not doing you any favors, either.

We will get to the rest of it later. Oh, you might want to hold the case down with something, and try a ppipe wrench with a cheater on the front of the shaft ( between the hubs) to try to turn it. Maybe chain the case to a vehicle or something to hold it good. I would not stick a bar in the hub and try to turn it, you might break the hub.

Will be interested to see your report on this.....
Wildcat

Post by Wildcat »

I'll see if I can get the set-screw out. If I can find it.

I've already strapped the case down on a heavy table and used a big pipe wrench with a cheater and the shaft wouldn't budge.

thanks for your help.