Rebuilding Dempster 10 ft no 12

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
windybob

Re: Rebuilding Dempster 10 ft no 12

Post by windybob »

The oil runs from the front bearing to back in the case via that channel. It gets to the front by the spiral that carries it forward.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number. IF YOU TALK TO HIM, AND HE HELPS YOU, THEN BUY FROM HIM. IT CREATES GOOD KARMA.
jjgag

Post by jjgag »

Another quick question on the braking system. How do you treat the metal “shoe” and drum area. I have read that sometimes the shoe rusts to the drum if not in use. If I prime and paint it might help for a couple years
windybob

Post by windybob »

i have never seen one rusted to the drum. In order for that to happen, the mill would be completely shut by the tail arm being over all the way, and the mill sitting outside in constant rainy weather. Almost all the time, the mill is left alone with the brake off, the natural position.

The metal to metal contact is normal on many mills. The brake does not slow the mill down, the angle of the head-to-tail does. Only thing the brake does is to keep the wheel from feathering when the mill is pulled out of the wind.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number. IF YOU TALK TO HIM, AND HE HELPS YOU, THEN BUY FROM HIM. IT CREATES GOOD KARMA.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

THANK YOU for being the University of Bob !
I learn & understand the engineering and function every time you teach a class!
That’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it
Mike B
windybob

Post by windybob »

You are just too funny Mike. LOL