Kevin's b602 project

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Kevinwterry

Re: Kevin's b602 project

Post by Kevinwterry »

Yep I've got the tail pin, its currently helping me fab the tail bone. That all thread is just holding it together temporarily.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I'm loosely following this thread, not paying a lot of attention.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Kevinwterry

Post by Kevinwterry »

And once again Ron you are right. I installed the tail bone with tail shaft and now the the brake system works. My buffer didnt show up like it said it would. It's a used one off ebay so I'm going to clean it up before paint so it's at least a few days out from install. The tail spring and hook did make it here though. Also in the next day or so should be getting the large gears from windcatcherdans guy steve. He also had the pitman arms, but we decided I didnt need them because this mill wont be a working mill anymore. Maybe I'll grab a set in the future just to make it more complete and show the kids how it would have worked.
Kevinwterry

Post by Kevinwterry »

So found some parts on the porch yesterday when I got home. Now have the large gears and the tail buffer. Sand blasted the buffer and painted it. I cleaned up the shaft of the large gears with some steel wool and 1000 grit paper. Just had a light rust on it from sitting. I've got the tail spring hook installed, tail spring drying right now, probably wont hold paint long but I figure better than nothing. That tailbone angle piece I made actually lined up with the buffer so I'm painting it and will bolt it up tomorrow.

So for now my questions are..

How tight do I tighten the small flathead machine screw that holds the two tail bone buffer halves together on the tail bone shaft?

I feel like I'm missing a bearing cap on the large gears. Theres a decent gap between the shaft and the hold down bar. I didn't measure but maybe 3/4". And also theres a good 1/8" gap from the shaft to the babbit on the side towards the small gears. Is this okay? Remember, I got those gears to help lubricate, not for making the mill function.

I forgot to weigh the gearbox before I moved it out of the shop. Now with the blades on I cant put it back in. I have a scale I hang from my overhead crane but doesnt do me any good now. Does anyone know approximately how much a complete gearbox weighs. I just need weights for setting the tower up. I'm guessing a few hundred pounds. My tower will be about 850 pounds.

And then also I'd like to start talking about the tower foundation. What do you guys usually do for a 33 ft tower? I've seen a bunch of pictures, some looked like it held for picture but probably tipped over the next day haha. but what's the standard? I'm northwest washington, on 5 acres surrounded by trees. I dont see it moving full speed often. But then I dont know, just a few days ago the tops of the trees were moving a bit and a random gust came through and actually spun the mill. Only a couple of revolutions, but was still cool to see.
20240625_180119.jpg
20240625_195615.jpg
20240626_171054.jpg
20240626_183159.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Kevin you are missing the bearing cover and yes you need it. Also I believe your gear box and wheel weigh in at about 600 lbs.You want your tower base legs that you bolt your tower too around 4 ft deep and I usually use two bags of concrete per 8 inches wide 4ft deep holes up here in NY.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

more weight is better in this situation , wind can push over many thing standing 30 ft up in the air .
windybob

Post by windybob »

fyi.....in another thread i was discussing that bearing bar, and proper fit.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Kevin's last sentence stated he wanted to start the tower foundation process ,
windybob

Post by windybob »

yes but I will comment on the other topics for now.

The buffer should be free of the tailpin. That is not a clamp, albeit looks like one.
Kevinwterry

Post by Kevinwterry »

Okay thanks guys. Windy, I found your post on the topic "another 602 rebuild" and you mentioned caps with and without babbit in them. Should mine have it or not? Anyone have a picture of one? Something I can fab up?

About the foundation, I'm still a ways out on that part, im just starting to gather ideas. Think 2' diameter hole 4' deep per corner?

I'll loosen the buffer. Looked like a clamp to me.