Butler pipe check

......when you need to get in the weeds.
Mike Hage

Butler pipe check

Post by Mike Hage »

20210116_190818.jpg
20210116_185022.jpg
20210116_184948.jpg
20210116_184819.jpg
On my Medicine Hat Butler double gear is this piece. Butler, in there parts list, calls it a pipe check. It sits on the bottom of the mast pipe just below the storm stay or trueing spider. Through it runs a 1/2 × 3/4 flat bar that attaches to a swivel for the wooden pump rod. Also thru this pipe check runs a thin flat bar that goes up to a bunch of junk to furl and stop the mill. It looks like there is supposed to be 2 slots. Maybe. The big slot has about 1/2 inch of slop. Does anyone have a picture of a better one or any wisdom on what I should do with this. I dont think it should be clanking back and forth too much when the rod goes up and down. Can I make a block of copper or something and fill in the rest with weld and then tap the copper out?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Re: Butler pipe check

Post by windybob »

Cut a steel piece of flat stock, in a circle, and cut the slots accordingly. Bolt it to the bottom, or weld it to the bottom. The pump rod and the pullout bar are probably worn also from rubbing. Before you make a adapter, figure out what you are using for the pumprod, and pullout bar. This area is a problem for any kind of mill with a guide cap like that.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Mike Hage

Post by Mike Hage »

I could hide that adaptor right inside that cap and no one would even know hmm.. you've done this before. Maybe I could pack the entire 41 inches of mast pipe full of grease too ha ha. Ya its not a great system. So is there anything that works nice for welding up something like that like copper and then you fill it in and then tap the copper slug out after?
windybob

Post by windybob »

I don't know. You're in an area that I'm unaware of.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I think I promised you some pictures. I could n ot find oil pocket covers in the bucket of parts for my 6 ft Double Gear. These are from my 8 ft outside.
Pitman arm shield (or cover).....

butler oil cover.jpeg
butler oil cover 2.jpeg
Other covers......

butler oil cap 2.jpeg
butler oil cap.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Hage

Post by Mike Hage »

Sweet! I was wondering what those looked like. I think I'm gonna make mine out of brass, dress it up a little. I'm not sure but when I'm done it might be the only restored one in Canada. I dont think anyone will notice if they are brass or steel. So on the pitman arm ones does that band wrap right around the arm or is there kind of some hooks? Thank you kindly for the pictures Windybob
Mike Hage

Post by Mike Hage »

20210123_214526.jpg
This is what I got so far. I built a temporary stub tower, glass beaded all the parts and kind of put it all together. You weren't kidding this thing is enormous! I'm so pumped this thing is going to be impressive. I did find a turntable bearing at Mcmaster Carr should be here next week thank you. I've been doing a lot of sitting in the chair looking at it. I've been messing with the vane support rods. I've replaced the broken 5/16 support rod with a 7/16 one the holes were already drilled that big from the factory and the rest of the nuts on the vane are the same od. All the stuff on the bottom of the mast is a poor design so I'm just going to do my best. A big concern is the pullout strap. I dont have cows so most the time this mill will be furled. All that holds this mill furled is a little 1 inch flat iron. If that should break in a wind storm the mill could go out of control and all my work..... we had a horrible wind storm here last week much damage.
windybob

Post by windybob »

The pitman oil pocket shield i'm pretty sure just clips on. slides up and down to service the pocket. Of course the rain water will not stay out, oil will float out. Just the next step in the long design of the self-oiling head.

Looks like good progress on your mill so far!