Dempster 14

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Mike Hage

Re: Dempster 14

Post by Mike Hage »

Wayne
I saw those pieces of 1/4" poplar at home depot. About 15 bucks for 2 blades and I need 78 of them. This Baltic birch plywood is about 75 bucks for a 60 by 60" sheet. Three sheets will do it. It's really nice stuff with no knots in it might be a little stronger too. I don't know maybe the poplar is better. I'm going to seal and paint it up really nicely. Not sure. I know they didn't have access to plywood back when these thing were built. Thoughts?
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

The Poplar I'm buying is 4ft long and 6inches wide. I can get 2 blades per, it is $8.58 a per board at Home Depot. I'm need 23 more pieces. Going to go check after Church this morning.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

When I made a wheel for a Monitor L, I bought 1 x 6 western red cedar. Re-saw (rip edgewise) in half. I was able to get 4 blades out of a 36" board. Ran them through my planer to 1/4" thick. Today Lowes has 1 x 6 x12' for $36.45. That would make 16 blades at approx. $2.30 each.
Gregg
Monitor L Blades.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
joe herman

Post by joe herman »

Greg that is what I did using 1x6x6 hand picked knot free cedar fence boards to make a set of Monitor
sails. I have not used them as had also made a set using poplar.The cedar did not feel as stiff and
hard.How long ago did you make the wheel and how is it holding up?
I am going to be needing a set for my Dempster #14. They are the same size and if yours are working
well I can save time and money . Also how did you finish the sails?
Joe
Smax

Post by Smax »

Mike (mas) made a set for his monitor out of plywood several years ago and they seem to be holding up well
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I'd wonder about getting a good seal on the edges of plywood. Water only needs a small crack to get inside.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Joe, I primed everything with oil base primer before and after assembly. Then painted with latex. It held up for about 15 years. Somebody else has re-done it since then. I think I would now do what Roger Bailey told me. He told me to soak the wheel sections in linseed oil and then dip in paint after assembly. I Will try that on the next one.
I am not sure how the plywood, would hold up in the humidity we get here.
Gregg
joe herman

Post by joe herman »

Thanks Gregg,
Looks like one would need a rather large vessel to accomadate the wheel.
When I built my Monitor wheel this past summer I first applied a couple of coats
of green wood preserver to all part before assembly.Then oil primed the sections making
sure no gaps visible period.Then sprayed on 3 coats acrylic latex.
We live in fairly dry climate so do not have to deal with a lot of moisture.
Joe
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I bet everybody who has ever painted a wheel has a better idea. It's a never ending search. I've thought about dipping , but then think about the huge vat you would need and then how to dip each piece, getting them out to drain and hanging them to dry. I'll stick with my paint brush and take a little bit of everyone's ideas and come up with the perfect solution. He He
Mike Hage

Post by Mike Hage »

DSCF4244.JPG[/attachment[attachment=1]DSCF4244.JPG
progress! I've cut the sails and my friend Joe has done a beautiful job of the cross bars. Short a few pieces tho. I need 3 of these pull out hooks and Joe needs all 6 I believe. Also need some of the pivot corners. Does anyone have any of this stuff?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.