Corcoran windmill

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
Wayne

Re: Corcoran windmill

Post by Wayne »

Awesome. So is it a Corcoran?
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Wayne wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:34 am Awesome. So is it a Corcoran?
Wayne,
Yes it is. Enlarge the second image and look at the upper arm of the main casting and you will see "Corcoran" cast into it.

Regards,
Jim
" You need to get at least 30 miles out of Austin before you're firmly back in Texas."
Star Zephyr

Post by Star Zephyr »

This mill has 8 sections so I would guess that it is at least a 12 footer. I can see the similarities of an "Eclipse" style mill, but the Corcoran is definitely more robust especially on the spider. Nice curves on the tail and side vane gives it a little more distinctive look. Anyone have any more pictures. What NMSU has in Las Cruces is definitely not a Corcoran according to these pictures.
Star Zephyr

Post by Star Zephyr »

Also the curves in the main frame in the black and white photo make more sense with the newly posted pictures.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Great eye! Maybe now we can figure that Corcoran mills can be verified from now on.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Jim if you advertise up in this area and find one I'll go and fetch it for you.
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Star Zephyr wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:32 am This mill has 8 sections so I would guess that it is at least a 12 footer. I can see the similarities of an "Eclipse" style mill, but the Corcoran is definitely more robust especially on the spider. Nice curves on the tail and side vane gives it a little more distinctive look. Anyone have any more pictures. What NMSU has in Las Cruces is definitely not a Corcoran according to these pictures.
I am told this one is a 14 footer.
Jim
" You need to get at least 30 miles out of Austin before you're firmly back in Texas."
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

Teddy Roosevelt windmill-------Original Windmill constructed 1884 – 1886 associated with estate’s
water system; replaced 1905 with new, improved wheel and tower
(by A.J. Corcoran). When there was no wind, water was pumped
by hand from the kitchen. Removed or dismantled by 1948 and
reconstructed 1971 on original site.

see link below:
https://www.nps.gov/parkhistory/online_ ... gs_hsr.pdf
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Jerry,
Nice find. Here's the image of an original piece of marketing literature. If you click on the image it'll turn horizontal
CCI_000061.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

Jim have you seen this letter before?

Transcript of letter at bottom of this page:

THE CORCORAN
STORM-DEFYING WIND MILLS
PUMPS AND WATER SUPPLY MATERIALS
WIND MILLS FOR EXPORT
NO. 11 JOHN STREET
FACTORY NEW JERSEY CITY N.J.
A. J. CORCORAN New York, Fri 20th Jan 1905 CABLE ADDRESS RHYANCE

Dear Sir

I enclose a proposition to Mr Roosevelt to erect tank to contain 40000 gallons, tank-frame, foundation, pipe and fittings, complete, old windmill re-erected etc - and - the same thing with one of new and improved windmills 22'6" diameter wheel.
The latter is the one I would recommend on more than one account
First and most important is the question of water. The new windmill would run when the old would stand still and is what you want it to do so that it will take the water as fast as it accumulates in well. The mill is fitted so that you can make it work at a speed to pump just the quantity desired and you will always have a surplus power for use in light winds
Again, The old windmill as you know has been in service for a long time. The main-frame or pivot upon which the mill is mounted is badly worn at the neck where it turns and at any time might during a NW wind cut out there. If this happened that might cause a delay in repairing it for I have not made a mill like yours in nearly twenty years
As you know, what I would like is to put up something which will prove satisfactory to Mr and Mrs Roosevelt as well as a credit to myself and having this in view I made a very low price for the new mill. I hope it will have their approval
I have not waited to get bids from the local masons for I have built a half-dozen towers on the north shore requiring very much the same kind of foundations. Nevertheless, if the work should be done, and a good man whom you know can do it at less figure than I estimated, I shall certainly give Mr Roosevelt the benefit of the difference

Very truly yours
A. J. Corcoran

To Mr Noah Seaman
Sagamore HIll
Oyster Bay LI
NY
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com