Parish

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: Parish

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Very nice Micheal those are cool mills. Elgin made a chain drive windmill called the snow.
CTXmiller

Parish

Post by CTXmiller »

Dan,

I was thinking I saw an Elgin Snow when I went to the Lubbock museum in August. It was neat.

Couple more photos.

The brake liner was likely the original. The brake mechanism was mostly intact. The new spring is more of a guess as there was pieces of the old spring there.

Pulling the pullout lever raises the forks on the mast pipe and actuates the brake shoe within the hub and at the same time, turns the main vane from vertical to horizontal. The side vane then helps to pull the fan out of the wind or so the theory goes.

This older braking system, specifically the single pad system, seems much less complicated than the later Parish dual brake shoe system. The Parish in the Lubbock museum has the dual brake shoe system. I’ll post photos of it next.

I think mine was made in 1977 v the Lubbock museum’s being a 2008 as best I can infer from the serial #s.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

American Windmill Museum Parish braking system, which appears to be a 2008 model.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Nice job so far Micheal, keep us posted i like that color.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Thanks Dan. It isn’t Parish blue, but it is blue nonetheless.

Couple of more photos.

The chain is a #60 and is just a hair short of 4’.
IMG_8757.jpeg

Side vane made by Dan B. They seem to have been mounted by only two bolts and no cross brace, but I added a flat bar cross support.
IMG_8758.jpeg
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

Looks great, I wish we had more history of the Parish company. Thanks
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
63markB

Post by 63markB »

Coming along Michael. Looks great.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Thank you.

I made a short tower for it as I have no trees near my windmills. The pipe tower that came with it, was more than it needed, damn heavy and at the edge of ugly. I have my doubts it was ever on that pipe tower.

All I had was the Parish stub, which was torch cut from its previous tower. It was cut pretty short at the bottom and I would have preferred to have had a little more angle iron left on the bottom of the stub.

Overall the tower is about 12’, excluding the mast pipe. The stub angle is 2” x 3/16” so I just cut two 20’ sections of the same metal, adding 10’ to the 2’ stub for the overall 12’. Oversized platform is there because it is a Parish and might need an occasional repair/adjustment. My tractor frontend loader bucket should easily reach the platform to provide an extra large work area.

I thought about cross rods. However, over that 12’ there are 4 different sets of girts with the biggest span of 5’ between girts. Two sets of the girts are 1.5” x 1/8” and the other two are 1”. In addition to the four sets of girts, there is a platform girt and the base of mast pipe assembly, so I hopeful the tower is twist resistant. Mostly grade 8 bolts/nuts.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Few more photos
Windcatcher530 Dan

Looks good Micheal I think you'll be fine without the X braces. !!