What would you do?

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
ShekaBros

What would you do?

Post by ShekaBros »

Greetings fellas!

I had my initial post in the Introductions section, along with pics, but thought I should move this to the Projects Discussion.

So you guys have identified what I have as probably a Monitor tower and 602 Aermotor. Thanks for all the input. Now I am asking for your advice on how to move forward. I don't think there are any right or wrong answers, I just want to know what you would do if this were yours. As I mentioned before, this is on our working farm. When I first got interested in the windmill I mainly was thinking of just getting it to look nice, for nostalgia's sake, as I am trying to keep the barn and other outbuildings up.

1. Would you try to restore the 602 with salvaged parts or just get an entirely new top? I have contacted a windmill company here in Iowa that said they can put a complete new Aermotor top on. At first I thought it would be cool to restore the old one, but I don't know about how available parts are, and maybe it would end up costing more than the new one.

2. The company wondered if I wanted the tower painted after they put the new top on. I like the look of the old tower as it is weathered and just looks old, but I don't know if it would look weird if the top is all new but the tower is old. Would repainting the tower help preserve the steel?

3. For an additional $1,200 they said they could rehook the mill to the pump, so it would pump water. We don't really need water there, but it would be kind of cool. I know, how much am I will to pay for "cool"?

Let me know what you would do if it were yours. Thanks!
CTXmiller

Re: What would you do?

Post by CTXmiller »

If you could restore the 602, that would be neat since it probably has been there since the beginning. You’d need to find someone to pour Babbitt. Sometimes mills can be money pits depending on their state (i.e. missing /damaged parts, etc.) so you’d need to weigh finding a newer (702, etc.) or new v. the repair costs.

I would not paint the tower, but I guess you could put a coat of cold galvanization on it.

I’d have the well hooked back up. Even though you don’t need the water, you could at some point.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

I would restore the 602 .if it's something you can't do the Amish will or find someone who does repair on 602s.preserving history is what it's all about.I'd leave the tower alone.when all that's completed and done you have time to think about pumping water.
IvanBlock

Post by IvanBlock »

Wells here's my two cents worth. Rebuild your 602 keeping that old look to match your tower. There are plenty of 602 parts around. If you are not capable of rebuilding the 602 box ( it has poured in place babbitt bearing ) which can be a challenge send me a PM and I'll give you contact information for an Amish windmill repair shop who can do the rebuild for you. They are located about 4 hours from you and can rebuild for a hellofa lot less than new. Second point, keep the paint off the tower, its not going to accomplish anything except spending money you could use for something else. Finally before spending a "cool" $1200 to rehook the windmill to the pump get an itemized list of what that includes. At a bare minimum for that kind of money you should be getting new wood pump pole from the gearbox down to the pump and the necessary pole guides needed and a quick disconnect. It should also include pulling the pipe string, checking the cylinder, replacing the leathers and maybe the pump rod if needed...
windybob

Post by windybob »

Ivan is correct, and it's worth a lot more than 2 cents. lol but before you do anything with hooking it up, you need to make sure the well is decent enough to make water. If the well is no good, there's no use in hooking up the mill to it.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Robert P.
The really smart guys have the best advice ! I would heed their experience & knowledge .
Always good advice.

Mike B.
New Braunfels TX
windybob

Post by windybob »

Hey Mike, Happy Birthday!
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

:) Thank you Windy !
But,
September not August.
As you know, don't ever rush time .
Mike B
windybob

Post by windybob »

You might go back and change your birthday on your profile then. I think it's automatic.

CAn you have one this month, and next month too? That way you can skip one if you ever need to.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

You crack me up windy.