Winco (Dyna Technologies) W1500 4 Blade Machine

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about vintage wind generators, in most cases.
perryjohn57

Winco (Dyna Technologies) W1500 4 Blade Machine

Post by perryjohn57 »

Greetings......I recently purchased a New Old Stock, still in the original crate, Wincharger W1500 (a 1500 watt, 24 Volt DC, Four Bladed Wind Generator)........this machine is from the Dyna Technologies era......supposedly manufactured in 1985. Included, also in original crating, were two complete sets of propeller blades (two long blades and four short blades.......)
I am seeking Assembly, Erection, and / or Operation and Maintenance Information, Manuals, Brochures, etc.
My intent is to fly this machine on an 80 foot Rohn SSV tower that was originally used for an '80's era Jacobs.

During the first half of the 1980's I flew a late 1930's two blade, air brake governed Wincharger. From 2001 until 2011 I flew a larger four blade Wincharger..... Currently I also have a NOS never flown Wincharger 1222H and a similar NOS never flown Wicharger 2422H.......in other words.....my history with Winchargers spans many years, and currently involves 3 New Old Stock Winchargers!!!

I plan for the W1500 to be the ultimate in Wincharger installations!

Any information, images, advice, etc. will be appreciated. I will most willingly cover any cost associated with copying and shipping, or I will gladly do "electronic" copies of relevant information.

Thanks. john perry
Wind Charger Mike

Re: Winco (Dyna Technologies) W1500 4 Blade Machine

Post by Wind Charger Mike »

I was wondering who got the Lynden Wincharger. That’s a great machine and it has the extra set of props. Did it include the controller? I probably would have bought it had it not been for logistics of getting it to Texas. You have a nice collection of nos machines, all museum quality. I’d be on the fence as to whether fly it or keep it nos, I don’t have a manual, do have a brochure you may have already found.
https://wincharger.com/index.php/promos/brochures
Please post pics of your machines when they’re assembled.
perryjohn57

Post by perryjohn57 »

Good morning, Mike.
There was not a controller with the Lynden machine.....but in the grand scheme of hurdles......it is one I can solve!!
I bought the 1222H and 2422H machines simply due to the desire to fly "one more Wincharger.......", then the W1500 came along.......
There are some photos on this site of the four blade machine I flew years ago, posted by my brother Phil, who did the main machine restoration. The machine flew for years near Topeka, Ks. before life's twists and turns took me to Southern Missouri.......
I have only seen one of the "late" Winchargers (late 1970's early 1980's) flying....and that was years ago, so I do not have a good idea of how many were manufactured or how many made it into use, but I suspect that the numbers are small. I can't imagine many are left "in the crate"........
The folks in Lynden stated they thought the machine they had was manufactured in 1985, and that is sat in the Winco warehouse until they purchased it in 2001. Their dreams did not come to fruition (I know how that can be!!), and they are now thinking a solar energy system is more achievable.
I would love to share some photos to this site (of the W1500 as well as the smaller machines.....), but I haven't quite figured out how to post images here......any guidance would be appreciated......my current off grid energy system (solar) is backed up by a pair of 1947 "Powerlite" gas generators from the era when Montgomery Wards was selling "Powerlite Winchargers", so there may be some interest in those machines as well......
I seem to think that your name was recently mentioned during a visit to the Kriebel Windmill Museum in Nebraska City, Nebraska...so I am glad to have made contact with you.
Stay tuned.....more to come......john
Wind Charger Mike

Post by Wind Charger Mike »

I know Phil and have visited him a few times, bought a couple machines from him over the years. I know the pictures of your machine on the Wincharger website, it was another Phil masterpiece, the slip ring assembly be built is amazing. I think you’re right about the small production numbers of the late model 1500W. The wood 4 blade Wincharger with that governor dates to mid 40’s. They briefly switched to extruded aluminum props but went back to the wood blades, not sure why. To post a pic click on the “full editor & preview” button below where you’re typing, then press the “attachments” button. An add files button should appear and you can select your pics. My contact info is in my profile. I look forward to seeing pics of your collection.
perryjohn57

Post by perryjohn57 »

Here are a couple of images of the W1500 in the crates......the props and governor are exactly like the "old machines", except the governor cover nosecone is molded plastic not pressed and shaped sheet metal.

However, the gear case and chassis casting is much bigger, longer, and more robust than the earlier machines.

Most exciting, though yet to be confirmed, it appears that the tail furling mechanism is "fail safe" not "fail on".......I remember years ago trying to stop a "runaway" machine, and save the machine that had suffered a winch cable failure......at this point in my life I am not sure I would climb a tower hoping to stop a machine from self destruction.....I suppose with age comes some degree of wisdom.....

john p.
Wincharger 8.jpg
Wincharger 7.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.