Flint & Walling 12

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Mister Ed

Re: Flint & Walling 12

Post by Mister Ed »

We'll save those pics and resend them when you are in your 3 months of 100* days. LOL.
Thanks,
Ed
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

I couldn't have said it better Ed. And Mike that white stuff this time of year is what we call poor man's fertilizer.
Mike Hage

Post by Mike Hage »

20220326_163204.jpg
So spring is here and now I can pick up where I left off. I Have the tower assembled loosely. It's sitting on blocks over the holes. Plumb Bob hanging from the top, level on the girts, square from corner to corner. The tower cap and storm stay are tight. Do i tighten everything up before I pour concrete? What about the truss rods? What if the tower cap and storm stay aren't lined up and the head won't turn? Any wisdom?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Great job Mike. I would tighten everything up that way nothing should move when the concrete sets up. Your plumb doesn't have to be exactly perfect the mill will still spin. How can you tell when spring is there when the snow is only a foot deep
Mike Hage

Post by Mike Hage »

It's finally warming up the snow is melting fast. There are big lakes of water everywhere. It was a brutal winter. We kept getting hammered with wind and snow and awful cold. -20s F. I had 10ft snowbanks on either side of the road from the grader and every time it would blow it would fill in. Ok ill get everything tightened up before I pour. Maybe I'll stick the main head casting in to make sure it turns hope I can lift it. Did you get into your snowbank yet where those vane parts are?
joe herman

Post by joe herman »

Hi Mike,
No such conditions here.We could use several days of rain as the sloughs between here and Calgary are bone dry.
Snow is gone and the vane is not going to show you anything that will help you in how the spring works.
As for the vane brackets they are set up in a way that do not show how they are on the actual mill.
I took some pictures and emailed them to you.Looks like you did not receive.Still having problems with mail.
I will call you later this after noon and we can have a discussion on our plans for the spring.
Joe
Mike Hage

Post by Mike Hage »

No Joe I never got an email. Even if I can trace out that top vane bracket and that latch thing it gives me something to start with. It's probably different tho because yours is a 10ft mill. Windcatcherdan has the right one but he's buried in snow yet I think
joe herman

Post by joe herman »

Mike I will try getting a close up of the brackets and try again.
It`s frustrating when emails don1t work.
I will send you a PM later so keep checking. It is quite cloudy today
so will wait for a brighter day to take photo.
Joe
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

Mike -
Hopefully I can get you some measurements & pics this weekend. Its supposed to warm up again ... maybe I will remember this time!
Thanks,
Ed
joe herman

Post by joe herman »

Mike,
I sent you 3 pms with 3 photos.
Could not figure out how to send all three on one PM.
Joe