Stover model M

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
CTXmiller

Re: Stover model M

Post by CTXmiller »

Dave,

You might try Steve Adams in Granbury, TX if no one else says they have that particular part. Steve has posted his phone # on here previously, so here it is (six82) 500-two280.
DavidRaines

Post by DavidRaines »

Russail wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:45 am Does anyone have a color photo of this model or know the original color?
On out Stover/Samson the head had traces of silver paint. The last patent date is 1936.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Just about all Samson Stover oil bath windmills were originally painted black, but for the Airflow which was green. I believe that was the consensus from prior discussions at some point on this forum.

The Sears Champion marketed variants of Samson Stover windmills were red to my knowledge. Someone will correct me if I’m wrong on any of the above.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Ok, just to be clear, David, did we figure out what size your mill is? The width of the fan, and the length of the complete tail assembly should tell you what size you have for sure.

Yes, as far as I know, they were black painted. I have a Sears, but I have not been into it yet, no obvious sign of paint on the outside.

And the brake arm is the same part for all those sizes? Is that correct? That is odd, but certainly possible. I think I have a brake arm. The reason those break....is due to the fact that there is no take-up spring on the brake linkage. Once the brake is applied, there is NO give anywhere, so something has to give. We usually put a spring somewhere in the linkage where when the brake is tight, a spring takes up further tightening.

If you can measure the OD of your neckpipe, we can see if my TT will fit. It seems that if your TT is bad, a Dempster will work. They are more plentiful And are about the same.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
DavidRaines

Post by DavidRaines »

Dan, forgive me but I don’t know -TT- The tail is 39” long and the fan is 6’.
Here is a pic of what we are missing. The part that goes where the cotter key is. Probably some part to attach to the brake band.
Thanks for your help.
Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

OK, that's a 6 footer. It has a 4- section fan also. TT is short for turn table. I have a brake arm. Let me see what else is at the shop.

Do you plan on taking it all apart and do a complete cleaning, and inspection? Might need some tail hardware. The 2 bolt area should be for the pulley to guide the chain back to the tail. Do you have that pulley?

When you spread apart your TT is there a place for balls, or is it totally flat for the brass washer? That may be a very early TT, I believe they went to balls later. Not positive, but the TT i have on one is for balls.
DavidRaines

Post by DavidRaines »

We have the pulley. I took it home and sandblasted. It has the brass washer.
DavidRaines

Post by DavidRaines »

Here is the serial number.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I posted this in the Samson S thread. Sorry! I'm starting to confuse myself! LOL

At this point, I dont know if I can help or not, with parts. The only brake arm I have is numbered 8 not 10, so I imagine it would not be the right size. Also what I see are heads that have no tail hardware attached.

Were you looking in a parts manual for your missing parts? I was wondering if maybe you accidentally were looking at 10 ft parts instead of 6 ft parts. With the number 10 you said for your brake arm, I'm just making sure it's the correct number. If 8 ( on mine) means 8 footer, mine has a 5 spoke hubs, maybe the part number 10 is for a 10 ft head. Your head is a 6 footer, so just making sure here. Do other parts on your head have 6 on them?
DavidRaines

Post by DavidRaines »

Dan, here is the parts list we are working from. Hilighted items are the parts we have. The 10m8 works for the 6,8 and 10. If you have that part, apparently it will work on the 6’.
Dave