Monitor X

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
CTXmiller

Re: Monitor X

Post by CTXmiller »

Worked on the pitman arm. Only one boss really needed attention.

The end that goes through the bull gear was the good (or better) end whereas the worn side actuated the pump rod. The boss that goes through the bull gear was better because of the brass sleeve that goes over it…there were only fragments of the bass sleeve still there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Nice repair.That is one simple pitman arm.
steve p

Post by steve p »

Real nice find CTXmiller. Love the earlier mills. Will be a fun project. Looking forward to seeing more posts and pictures as you move along.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Nice snag. Grease cups should fit if you have the plugs. The neckpipe is cast into the mainframe. look up in the botton of the neckpipe. It may have babbitt several inches up for a guide. The last time I took it out, the putty was still on the top side of the babbitt.

I cannot count how many of those pitmans I've welded and ground.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Making slow progress on the Monitor X.

I removed the large gear and short shaft with ease, noting the shaft is in good condition. The bronze bushing for the shaft by the big gear is worn.

Had some trouble removing the pinion gear on the main shaft. Ultimately the pinion came off without any damage to the head/gear/main shaft. The two bronze bushings on the main shaft were in decent shape. I’d lost money betting myself that these two bushing (i.e. one by the hub and the other by the pinion gear) on the main shaft would have been equally or worse worn than the single bushing on the big gear shaft.

I’m replacing some of the pins that are worn. Also welded up the 90 on the brake rod, which was pretty worn over its 100+ yr life.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Looking good!
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Nice work on the restoration.you lucked out on those main shaft bearings.i love working on the open gear mills they have more character to them than oil bath mills.Thanks for keeping us updated.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I've got a Model X and some extra blade sections if anyone needs some.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I think that's a 12 foot?
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

No Windy a Model X is a ten ft but the blades are big enough to be on a 12 ft. They are the same length as the Axtell Model C I had which was called an 11 1/2 ft.