702 Clunking Noise

......when you need to get in the weeds.
Windy Bill

702 Clunking Noise

Post by Windy Bill »

I have a 702 mill that runs good with the exception of a clunking noise. I climbed the tower today, removed hood, and tried to see what was making the clunking noise. It appears to have a “catch” in the gears as the Big gear open boss passes the pitman arm. The gear is not hitting the arm but seems to always clunks at that part of the rotation. I have a video but file is too large to download. I will try to load it on a YouTube video tomorrow.

Let me know what to look for as I don’t see anything jumping out at me as being broke.
Windy Bill

Re: 702 Clunking Noise

Post by Windy Bill »

Video of clunking noise
Windy Bill

Post by Windy Bill »

Another video (quality is poor). Sorry

I fixed the brake later to stop the groaning sound. Can’t figure out the clunking.
Bryon

Post by Bryon »

My vote is for needing new pitman arms. Babbit in yours are worn.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

I have to agree with Bryon
Windy Bill

Post by Windy Bill »

It seems to be on the bottom and top of the stroke. It could be the yoke with pump rod catching on the top and bottom of stoke. What do I look for on pitman arms to see if they need replacing? Babbit is worn? What is the part number for babbit?
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Bill , easiest way is to come over to New Braunfels and you & I will pour new babbit in your pitman arms .
OR , you can order new replacement arms directly from Aermotor .
OR , look at the post from Sept 21st in this section as the video on how to pour your own .
OR , look back at Lessons Learned , Sept 26, 2020 and see how I made my own jig & fixture and poured my own .
If you would like help , Windybob says I an now a professional, LOL
Mike B New Braunfels TX
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Clunking noise can also be cause by the gears coming to up as they go over the top. If there is some wear in the teeth as they turn and your pulling the sicker rod up they are tight and then as you get the sucker rod up and it starts down if there is any wear and you have a gap between the teeth the big gear could catch up to the little and will make a clunk. I have a walking beam pump jack that does that. If I apply pressure to the big gear the clunking stops. You can check if you have wear. When it's not turning rock it back and forth and see if you have any slop at the high point. I could be all wet but that's my issue with clunking wear of the gears. Took awhile to figure it out.
Windy Bill

Post by Windy Bill »

How hard is it to remove the pitman arms? Can I do it on the tower?
Bryon

Post by Bryon »

Windy Bill wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:53 pm How hard is it to remove the pitman arms? Can I do it on the tower?
Not very. Yes.