Wincharger Utility model

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about vintage wind generators, in most cases.
Jim_Z

Wincharger Utility model

Post by Jim_Z »

Greetings from South Carolina

The other day I picked up the remnants of what I think is a '36 or '38 Wincharger at Kline's Antiques east of Harrisburg NC. The price was right. The head is fairly complete with generator (stuck), blade flange, main housing with pivot, tail arm (less vanes) with spring and the closing chain. The tail arm and spring will let the blade swing out of the wind when it gets to strong. Does anyone out there have any info on this thing? As you can see the blade is not there. I might have to get a piece of spruce and a draw knife.
IMG_1617.jpg
IMG_1618.jpg
IMG_1619.jpg
Best Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Z

The Wind blows wherever it pleases...
Wind Charger Mike

Re: Wincharger Utility model

Post by Wind Charger Mike »

It is a model 36. There’s part diagrams at Wincharger.com under resources and other sales literature under advertising. Depending on what all you need I may have parts or you can occasionally find parts on eBay. My contact info in on the Wincharger website under resources/part suppliers. Nice find, looks like an early one and rare to find them in SC.
Jim_Z

Post by Jim_Z »

Mike,

I ordered one of your manuals for the Model 36 and am looking forward to getting into the machine.

I tilted after windmills for a few years in late 70s and early 80s. I worked with a couple of fellows, Glenn Dyer and Roland Coulson, now passed on. Glenn was a fine gentleman, very intelligent, self taught and would be been a fine mechanical engineer but for lack of money growing up in the depression. Glenn built some mean Model T racing engine and was quite knowledgeable about wind generators. Roland was a gung-ho, getter done sort of guy. As I recall, he did some covert military work in his early years. He learned about altitude density and gravity while flying his Cessna 140 back in 1984.

Roland had acquired the Wincharger blade cutting machines somewhere along the line and tried scaling the blades up to a larger diameter. That has some issues of its own. I remember both the Zephyr generator and the Coulson wind machine pictured in the Alternative Energy Magazine articles attached. Those were interesting days.

Best Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Z

The Wind blows wherever it pleases...
Wind Charger Mike

Post by Wind Charger Mike »

I’ve heard of both of those guys, both are wind electric legends. I have the Long Live Old Wincos” article on the Wincharger website. It’s a great article full of useful info. Heard some pretty amazing stories about Coulson…..guns, hand grenadines and hunting down Arkansas hippies that stole machines from him. WisJim posted a couple Coulson pics a while back.
viewtopic.php?t=669
I put you manual in the mail this morning. Let me know if you need more info.
WisJim

Post by WisJim »

Nice to see someone else who knew Roland on this site.