frozen main shaft

......when you need to get in the weeds.
ken@davidragan.com

frozen main shaft

Post by ken@davidragan.com »

in trying to get to the main hub I removed the wheel assy. Want to remove the wheel arms but with them being a V shape and having a support brace close to the outer ring I don"t see how to get them separate from the hub. I'm new to windmill restoration and may be overlooking something simple ???
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: frozen main shaft

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

What kinda mill is it and pics would be nice to help solve the problem
joe herman

Post by joe herman »

Looks like an Aermotor B602. The V spokes are held in with a U bolt and two nuts.The braces have split ends
and can be twisted enough to be able to be taken off the spokes.
Joe
ken@davidragan.com

Post by ken@davidragan.com »

thanks Joe for the help. I do see the split ends and will give them a slight bend to get the arms out. The old mill is in good shape and I hate to do much bending and twisting if I can keep from it. Now to getting the main shaft from being frozen. Iv'e been soaking it with PB blaster for a few days so hope with a little twisting it will free up. My plan is to have the mill restored and back pumping water by early spring so I'm sure I will be back on asking for more help thanks again
windybob

Post by windybob »

Sounds like a 602 Aermotor......? If it is, you should not need to bend the arems much to remove them, unless they are bent out of natural position.

Take the big gears out of the case, and pitmans and yolk. This can give you a head start in working with the hub and shaft.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Windcatcher530 Dan

When taking the two pinion gears off the main shaft each gear has two pins securing them to the shaft
windybob

Post by windybob »

Yes if you can turn the mainshaft. Try to get the mainshaft to turn completely around. You will need to , to get the pins out. Remember, if it is....a 602....the mainshaft is suspended in babitt, which doesn't rust. However if the shaft is bad rusty, it won't turn in the babbitt, so you have to work it back and forth a lot. Pull the bullgears and pitmans out of the case, which some of is steel on steel. Maybe that's what's locking it up.
Windcatcher530 Dan

After you get the pitman arms off the bull gears remove the bearing bar and cover. Lift the two gears off the two pinion gears and turn them in opposite directions pulling them sideways to unlock them and then you can lift them out. Good luck with your project
windybob

Post by windybob »

Oh I forgot about those kind of gears. If for some reason they don't come apart, at least you can get them off the pinions to help with the mainshaft situation.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Windy i just got through cleaning up two 602s. That's why I remembered