Hello! And thanks in advance for the guidance

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Oldwindmill

Hello! And thanks in advance for the guidance

Post by Oldwindmill »

Hello, I am new to this forum and new to windmills in general. I have inherited this windmill from a family member and successfully transported it to my property.

Now is the hard part, I know basically nothing about windmills, how they work, or how to repair them. My goal is to get this windmill in the air again and use it as yard art next to an old barn I have. I believe this is a woodmanse steel model but that I am also unsure of.

I’m not sure what parts I need or how to even get started? I don’t want to do a full restoration but rather make it functional and hope to preserve as much of the patina as possible. Any guidance on how to get started or how to go about this project would be great!

Attached are a couple photos, thanks again!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: Hello! And thanks in advance for the guidance

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Oldwindmill i want to welcome you to the forum there is a lot of knowledge here.i can't help you with your Woodman's I've never had one but most people on this forum has. Good luck with your project
windybob

Post by windybob »

That is indeed a Woodmanse Steel. And the good thing is.....it appears to be 'all there'.

Yes, and welcome to the site.

Those were sold from the 1890's to the 1930's and are 'relatively' common. I have found several around this area. If I can find the picture, I will post it of a 6 footer I restored.
I don't know what kind of mechanical background you have, but working on most windmills is mostly basic mechanics. Gear settings do not have to be 'blued' to fit, like in transmissions, rear-ends, etc. Shafts are usually basic sized, like 1 1/8" , 3/4 " etc. MAny things worn can be welded and ground, shafts can be replaced, and babbitt bearings can be re-poured. PArts for yours should be available from some of us here.
It appears yours may be an 8 foot size, that's the measurement across the wheel. (fan)
A great book to have, is " A Field Guide to American Windmills" by T. Lindsay Baker. We had postings about where to get it, and what it costs just recently here. It's not a repair guide, but has much info about all the mills it covers.
Might check the library section, and see what's available for Woodmanse. I'm not sure.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Kyle , what ever you do , do NOT wash or remove the lettering from the tail !
take many photos , scribblings , copies , what ever to preserve the " past "
there sre several posting on preserving this lettering . It will make a difference later in time !
Mike B
New Braunfels TX
windybob

Post by windybob »

Sorry the wider pic that I have is too far away. Maybe this will help. I think if you click on it, it will be larger.

Oh, it's not the factory color. LOL

woodmanse closeup.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

And there is a parts breakdown of the Woodmanse mills in the library.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Windy , you do beautiful & colorful work !

Mike B
windybob

Post by windybob »

LOL Thanks! Tell that to Ed. ;) He ribbs me about the 'cartoon colors'. :D
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Welcome Kyle!
PaulV
Oldwindmill

Post by Oldwindmill »

Thank you everybody. I appreciate the info thus far. For the record I don’t plan on doing anything with the tail lettering. I would like to do my best to make it function while maintaining its original appearance.

I am by no means a metal worker but I’m handy enough to be dangerous around the property. I really don’t even know where I should start on this restoration? Should I take it all apart and clean it up? Or?

How should I go about straightening the blades?
Is the vane even repairable in its current state? (Seems pretty beat up)
What kinds of things should be done to the gearbox?

Thank you everybody, I look forward in going through this project with you.