Hello! And thanks in advance for the guidance

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: Hello! And thanks in advance for the guidance

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Kyle i wouldn't worry about the pitman arm if you're not going to pump water.
Oldwindmill

Post by Oldwindmill »

Windcatcher530 Dan wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:12 pm Kyle i wouldn't worry about the pitman arm if you're not going to pump water.
That’s just the answer I wanted to hear! Just wanted to make sure it didn’t serve an alternative purpose. I will keep it just in cause we decide to pump water someday (however unlikely).

Regarding the pads that are in the casing around the shafts, what is the best way to fabricate new ones? Is it something I can take somewhere and they would know exactly how to make them?

Sorry I’m super unfamiliar with those pads so I’m not sure how to even describe them.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Kyle clean them up and put better pics of them up.its hard to see how bad they are.
windybob

Post by windybob »

The thickness of the spacers (shims) depends on how the shaft fits in the saddles.
Sorry, I thought you wanted a windmill that operated, so you could enjoy the working of it.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Oldwindmill

Post by Oldwindmill »

windybob wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:29 pm The thickness of the spacers (shims) depends on how the shaft fits in the saddles.
Sorry, I thought you wanted a windmill that operated, so you could enjoy the working of it.
I’m not counting it out completely yet! It’s a matter of getting everything to function correctly. I’m still waiting to hear from the welder to see if they are able to repair the two broken areas of the cast housing. Once I get that back I will send photos of the pads to check their condition.

While I’m waiting maybe I’ll find a shop who can put some bearings in that pitman arm.