Hello! And thanks in advance for the guidance

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
windybob

Re: Hello! And thanks in advance for the guidance

Post by windybob »

The top one is angle iron, galvanized. The other is cast. I have several of the first type already off the wheel.

Are both of these on your mill? If so, it has been repaired sometime in the past by someone. No big deal, just interesting.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Oldwindmill

Post by Oldwindmill »

windybob wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:18 pm The top one is angle iron, galvanized. The other is cast. I have several of the first type already off the wheel.

Are both of these on your mill? If so, it has been repaired sometime in the past by someone. No big deal, just interesting.
Yup they both came off the same wheel. To me it doesn’t matter which if they will both work. I just need 2.

But as I was disassembling the wheel I noticed there were square bolts on the majority of the arms (I assume they were original) and there was a handful of new bolts with locking nuts. I assumed then that some past repair had taken place.
Oldwindmill

Post by Oldwindmill »

I’m almost done straightening the metal. Next step I suppose is cleaning the disassembled gearbox parts that I have. Are there any suggestions or preferred process for cleaning? Degreaser to use?

Any type of finish coat that needs to be applied on internal parts?

The inside parts and outside case all have a degree of surface rust. I wouldn’t imagine this would be a problem but is there something I should do prior to reassembly to combat this or is it good the way it is?

Thanks again everybody!

Any and all suggestions welcome!
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

If you have a pressure washer spray it down with degreaser give it time to work and wash it off. If not do what I do spray it down with P B blaster on and off for a day. Next day take some diesel fuel and a good stiff cleaning brush. Not only does it clean but protects the metal.
Oldwindmill

Post by Oldwindmill »

Any advice on repairing this? The original design seems to be shot…maybe it’s ok as is? But it seems like something should be done about it.

Also I removed the 1x1 angle iron which connects the tail to the gearbox itself and tried to straighten it with no success…any advice?

Thank you! Making progress slowly but surely!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

One way to repair holes there is to take a needle nose pliers and bend the tab back over. Lots of times it breaks, depending on the hardness. Put a flat head hammer under the hole, and hit on top of it with a hammer and the metal between the two. or, if things are really bent up bad, get a new sheet of 20 ga galvanized metal. Some decent tin snips, and you can make a new tail. If you can't straighten the angle iron tailbone, make one of those also. It's been a while since I've bought steel though. Used to be like 13 bucks a sheet for 20 ga galvanized if I remember.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

If you decide to repair the tailvane for patina you could sandwich that center seam with one inch strap steel and either rivet or bolt them together. You should be able to fix the tailbone with heat, hammer, and a vice and patience.
Oldwindmill

Post by Oldwindmill »

I like the holes and patina of the tail however the center has come apart and the seam won’t connect anymore (the metal bend has broken in most places. However when flat the metal still overlaps. Would a tack weld hold it in place, any ideas to try to preserve the tail?
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Tack weld might work, but sometime welding that thin stuff I burn a hole in it. I like the idea of putting 1 inch flat on it. You might try and find some cross bracing for a windmill as it would be galvanized. If you lived close I have some I'd give you all you'd need.
Oldwindmill

Post by Oldwindmill »

I’m starting to get close to a point where I’m getting close to reassembly. Any tips on some type of stand or way of mounting the gearbox somewhere other then it’s stand to reassemble?