Stover model M

......when you need to get in the weeds.
Russail

Stover model M

Post by Russail »

Disassembling
For lack of technical knowledge how do you get these Pac man pins out to remove main shaft?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Re: Stover model M

Post by windybob »

I don't think those go all the way through. I drilled mine. You might as well drill those through, then you can put in regular pins. The Model M has no bearings, it's steel riding on cast. These things really freeze up tight because of that. Looks like yours turns. Thats very good.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Russail

Post by Russail »

Spins like a top, just not sure how much play I should have in main shaft
windybob

Post by windybob »

End play, or up and down? No doubt the shaft is worn some. Cast is harder than steel, so the replaceable steel wears.
windybob

Post by windybob »

You are fortunate. Every one that I have is locked up tighter than.......
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

Old post, this. Not sure anyone will see it. I have a question about Russel's first photo: It shows a machined, "flat," on the left with a stamped number. I'm guessing that is a serial number????? If so, can the date of manufacture be found using it? I'm looking at a model S which also has a stamped number such as this. Mine has a prefix, "D." I've not found an answer for this yet. Thanks, Dennis
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

There may not be and answer for your question. It seems most old windmill records didn't survive. Then again there may be someone out there that has an answer. Not many windmills had serial numbers. Stover is one that did for awhile.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I'm not aware of serial numbers, but that' not to say there isn't any on some models. I have a few M's in the boneyard, I will take a looksie if I remember. I think the Star 37's had serial numbers on the brass tag.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I had a 1939 Axtell ever-oil that a serial number plate, like my gas engines and I think Stover did for awhile very early.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

I have two Samson Stover Airflow gearboxes and both have a non-legible tag and also a number stamped in the same general spot as in the above referenced photo. Knowing the Airflow was made towards the end of Stover (i.e. the AirFlow was manufactured from about 1939-1941 or early 1942 when they went out of business), I can’t make an educated guess on their stamping as far as dating.

I’ve only seen one AirFlow gearbox that had an actual legible tag and it was a Sears Champion (aka Airflow, but with a different vane). Think those antique tags were like the Mylar stickers found on many bumper pull trailers of today, that are designed to last 10yrs or so and fade off.

Wayne is correct as Axtell put a date and a serial # on their oil baths.