F and W 10ft model 24

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Windcatcher530 Dan

F and W 10ft model 24

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

One of my winter projects is dissecting this mill.i don't think it will be a problem but I've never done one of these i do mostly open gear models.My question is there any tricks or problems when tearing this down.thanks.
20220113_094730.jpg
20220113_094641.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kenneth

Re: F and W 10ft model 24

Post by Kenneth »

Dan, the bull gears come out together. One bolt on the opposite side of the pinions
will drop out through the oil drain hole. Then one of the vertical rods has to be removed
as well. Then that assembly will lift out. There is also an oil tube that should lift straight
out. For the pinions, each gear has a woodruff key as well as a set screw. Remove the set screws first. There is a large plug in the gearbox opposite side of the hub end. Remove that and
that allows clearance for that pinion to slide outward far enough to remove the woodruff
key. For the pinion on the hub side, there is enough clearance inside the gearbox to
slide that gear toward the hub to remove that woodruff key. I am not sure about the end
of the snout. I think there were a couple of variations for that. Some had Tinker roller
bearings, some had wood bearings, and some had cast iron bearings.
That's what I remember. Will try to find some pictures.
IMG_20200517_100745.jpg
IMG_20200517_095705.jpg
Hope this helps.

Kenneth
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Kenneth thanks alot for the information.its hard to see how things come apart cause of all the rust in the gear box.i was wondering about the bull gears but you answered that.im hoping to get a sand blaster some day.thanks again for the help
windybob

Post by windybob »

Remember, along with a sand blaster, and real good compressor is a must! I always thought my compressor was fine until I got a small blaster.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Thanks for that info windy Bob.