Tailbone repair

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
63markB

Re: Tailbone repair

Post by 63markB »

Ron, yes it’s an E model so a lot of weight hanging out there. How do you ever repair the holes in the case? With it being close to 2” thick on the lugs. I struggle with “repairing to what’s feasible” and “mortgaging a blackland farm to make perfect”. As they say, the struggle is real! Lol. The casing has elongated hoses as you described to where they are between .075 and 1/8” larger than the tailbone pin. I’m now sure there’s a feasible way to make perfect. I’m dealing with the same issues on the little X702 that I rebuilt but there isn’t near the weight hanging out there on the vane with it.
Thoughts?
63markB

Post by 63markB »

Should say “not sure”
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

This was my solution to that problem .
On a A702.
Mike B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
63markB

Post by 63markB »

Mike, that is great work. I would like to do that but don’t have a boring mill. Only An old Bridgeport. And the 14’ mill is to big to get on the table. I have come to realize that it is much more enjoyable to work on the smaller mills.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

We repair the tail pin holes same as others in the rebuild business - Ni99 rod and a high quality burr in a die grinder. Bigger mills are easier to fix than smaller as it is easier get the stick in to weld. 5# of Ni 99 fixed almost 15 8' cases. The 5# of Ni99 I just ordered to finish rebuilds was a little over $100. This is the first time I set up a 30' x 4' work table so we could assembly line rebuilds. The welder averaged about an hour to do each case both snout and tail pins. In rebuilding, one thing was done on each case and then on to the next and it was faster.

The Aermotor 14 is a good mill being the one with least issues of larger Aermotors. Assembly is easier as you can walk between blades. 14s have two sizes of 708 bearings so measure your pinion gear OD to get the right one. Your hub a E703 1/2 or 703?

Solar pumps have pretty much replaced all the big mills as pumpers. There is a lot more dollar difference savings in deep wells with solar than even in the wells that take 8 and 10' mills.

Doing out own rebuilds helps to keep down costs as we are far away from any rebuilders and maintains consistent quality. It took a long time to build up inventory but now have bearing cores ahead so dont have to rely on cores from the ones being torn down. We have always been good with keeping costs down but find it harder to have an efficient sales/install side. Numbers have to be in the 200 to 250 sales per full time person to to be viable.

Ron
63markB

Post by 63markB »

Ron, I don’t know on the hub just yet, I haven’t tore the mill down. It is a 1936 year model. If that tells you anything.
rockingjl

Post by rockingjl »

tailbone repair, Ron didn't we run into that same issue last year when we repaired Linda's 12, seems like we had a heck of a time getting the tailpin lined up and thru the top bar of the tailbone
63markB

Post by 63markB »

Repair complete.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

good looking repair
up in the air 30 ft it will be near impossible to see .
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Nice work