Monitor X torsion spring question

......when you need to get in the weeds.
CTXmiller

Monitor X torsion spring question

Post by CTXmiller »

I’m trying to locate a Monitor X torsion spring, which is called a “latch spring” (E84) on a Monitor parts. This spring is interchangeable between the Monitor E and the larger X according to the parts. While mine is broken, I’m trying to figure out what the deflection angle is to possibly order one. Or if someone has an extra, I’d be interested.

I’m not sure if it is supposed to be a 120 degree, 225 degree, etc. as it is broken. Couple of photos attached. Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CTXmiller

Re: Monitor X torsion spring question

Post by CTXmiller »

I believe I found one that will work. Below are the specifications, but anything plus/minus on the below should seemingly work. I suspect the old broken torsion spring wire is closer to 0.135” diameter wire. Everything McMaster-Carr had, seemed to be too many coils and thus too wide or undersized wire. Maybe this will help someone else someday.

120 degree deflection, 0.125” music wire, left hand wound, 2.2 total coils, length of legs 4.5”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Looks good to me. I would go with it.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Looks good Michael 👍. Probably as close as you'll ever get. If not McMaster, where did you find the spring?
PaulV
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

PaulV wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:56 pm Looks good Michael 👍. Probably as close as you'll ever get. If not McMaster, where did you find the spring?
I searched various websites and then randomly found a pair of springs on eBay that I thought would work. I’ll admit, it was a gamble and I got the angle of deflection wrong at least once prior to posting the question on here. Since part of the spring was broken/missing, I had to guess at the angle of deflection. McMaster will custom make torsion springs, but I didn’t know the specifics to have some made. These springs seem to be a common fail point.

Ebay comes in handy as bearings for my Parish rebuild were as high as $400 for a single bearing and cast cartridge new from SealMaster (or whomever makes SealMaster). I think I found all my bearings (NOS - 4qty) for about $130 (total) delivered from 2 or 3 different sellers.