Wind Mill and pump, off-set from Bore (?)

Well and cistern setup, repair, components (pumps, etc.), etc.
Kiwi Will

Wind Mill and pump, off-set from Bore (?)

Post by Kiwi Will »

Hi folks,
Im new to setting wind mills up and have what some may say is an idiotic question,.... but hopefully, it might be able to be achieved.

So here goes....
Bore casing is 2" steel pipe
Bore is 36 ft deep
Static Water level is 20 ft

The problem is that the tower I wish to place, is ideally 20 yards away from the actual
bore.
The reason for this chosen spot for the tower, is to be closer to under ground tanks,
its level ground
and is higher than where the Bore was drilled some 70 years back, consequently, we should be able to get a greater head of water for the domestic shower.

Also, the bore is currently sitting in an area which is now a berry garden, which we are wishing to cover with bird proof netting and a tower would be a hassle to work around, if over the Bore.

Has anyone ever put a pump and tower (which will also have a tank some 5.5 metres up on it (18 odd feet (approx)) away from the actual bore?

I understand it will need a foot valve, plus maybe couple of one-way valves in the line , to where I wish to place a header tank. The Header Tank is proposed to be a guaranteed assurance, that there will always be water available to prime a dry pump.

So,.... are you shaking your head and moving on to someone else's less wacko idea,..... or do you have experience or skills & grace to be able to tell me what hic-cups I need to look out for.

Hoping I dont have to admit I'm totally whacko!
Cheers.
Ken O'Brock

Re: Wind Mill and pump, off-set from Bore (?)

Post by Ken O'Brock »

I have set up several windmills for offset pumping. With the static water at 20 ft, it should be no problem to have the windmill some distance away and have the lift cylinder mounted on a post in the center of the tower with a suction pipe coming out of the bottom of the cylinder and down in the well with a foot valve on the bottom. Here are some drawings from a page on my web site with some ideas for offset pumping. With the cylinder down in the well, it can pump from a greater depth. http://www.obrockwindmills.com/obrockwi ... mping.html
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Thanks for sharing that info , interesting
arizonian

Post by arizonian »

I ran across another website once and can't find it again. I have seen in person a windmill that was 2-300 yds away on top of a hill with the pump in the ravine below at the Rail-X Ranch north of Tucson. It was driven by 2 cables very similar to the link posted.
Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.

I believe in Gun Control.

Gun Control: The ability to hit what you are aiming at.