Woodsmanse project

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Centex Windmills

Re: Woodsmanse project

Post by Centex Windmills »

So after you drilled did you carefully file down the peened over shaft part so things would slide off?
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Or grinder , or dremel tool ,
Does the hub & shaft easily rotate ? If yes you are well ahead of the game , could just slide out forward .
Centex Windmills

Yep they rotate freely and are pretty loose due to worn or no bearings. so fingers crossed once I pull that gear off should hopefully just slide out out the front with the hub and main shaft as one which would be preferred.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Have you ever poured babbitt bearings ?
I would be glad to help .
Centex Windmills

I have not poured them and will take you up on that if I go the babbitt bearing route.

I was going to on the Dempster but ended up finding a garage machinest not far from my house who made some press fit bearings for me last time
windybob

Post by windybob »

When you get it apart, look carefully for oil galleys. Under the pinion and up into the snout may be one. There is on the later ones, not sure about the early ones. The pinion throws the oil onto the bullgear from the oil feed behind it.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Centex Windmills

Not much progress was made this weekend, ended up having to sacrifice the shaft which was ok shafts are easy to replace gears and hubs are not, as after having mud caking the shaft it was pretty well pitted and rusted anyway. Spent most of the weekend though drilling out the front key, got it halfway out and hit something hard so not sure if years ago someone broke off a drill-bit and then just put a key back in and covered it up or what but it instantly destroys drill bits about half way down the keyway. Going to go grab some other bits and see if I can step it up and take small bites and see it will drill out. There is just enough key left where it won't unthread off the shaft.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I don't think the shaft is threaded. You can also grind the shaft flat to the hub, and drill all around on the shaft,next to the hub down a good 2 inches or more. This will relieve the press-fit stress from the hub to the shaft. I would try pushing the shaft out the front if possible. The hub should be key-cut all the way through so if the shaft is ground down flat to the hub, and you drill all around the shaft with a 1/4 inch bit, and drill the key out mostly, you can probably at that time push the shaft out the rear. I forgot if the hub key is tapered. The only way I would push the hub out the back is drill out the key as much as possible. Otherwise, shove it out the front, remove the key, and push it back out the rear. You can even grind the shaft down some for easy removal once you have it moving in one direction.
Centex Windmills

Thanks windy for the tips, this shaft is threaded though and seized up tight, I have another hub and shaft though in case something goes wrong.

This is the next challenge the internal gear and crank pin. The pin is loose and extremeley worn and is broken out in the back. Does anyone know if the internal crank gear was cast around the pin or if the pin was screwed or pressed in. It seems like it is replaceable just by looking at it and the design but can't find a way that makes sense to get it out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Do you have the parts list picture? Maybe that would give a hint. I really don't remember it's been so long. You could cut it flush with the gear and drill around the perimeter on the pin and see. That would be the last thing I'd do.