Woodsmanse project

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
windybob

Re: Woodsmanse project

Post by windybob »

You are going to have to do something regardless. You can't go back together like it is. Your machinist can tell you how it was installed, but there's not much choice at this point.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Centex Windmills

Post by Centex Windmills »

Yep Im hoping to save the big gear and then we can figure out the pin and how to make and install a new one.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Oh I'm sure you can. It would take a lot more than that to make it un usable.
Centex Windmills

Well I have a kanck for accidentally making things unusable, it's amazing how it happens usually in a catastrophic way, haha
I did talk with Dan who said it's been a long time since he worked on a E but they were not made to be removable from.his memory but to drill it out from the back and you can try and press fit one in and reweld it. So that's what I'll try first. he said he is going to look but he thinks he has a NOS one with pin sitting in his collection.
windybob

Post by windybob »

That's nice! Sounds great.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Brandon would it be possible to grind that pin area down a little more and then fill it in with weld and smooth it out.
Centex Windmills

It's a option I've thought about but worry the amount of welding it would take front side and backside to make it workable would weaken it to much.
The pin is also pretty worn so would have to figure out how to shim and bushing that so it all works together.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Brandon my friend who welds cast iron said that's definitely fixable.also the steel pin can be built up with weld and then ground down or milled.just thought id mention that.
Centex Windmills

It might be worth a shot, I guess if it works then it's usable if it doesn't it's just a bit more grinding to re remove it. I'll look at it tomorrow evening after some more grinding.

Thanks
Centex Windmills

Haven't been working on the project but got back at it recently, got it all cleaned up and melted the bearings out of it. There are interesting castings inside the snoot that seem like they are oil regulators/ holds for the babbitts that were cool to find.

Still gotta tackle the welding of the main gear, then start machining bushings and pins for everything.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.