Good Morning Windmill Friends!

For New Members. Tell us about yourself.
Bfeilmeier

Good Morning Windmill Friends!

Post by Bfeilmeier »

Good morning friends. I joined this group to honor my late father, Roger Feilmeier. I'm sure a lot of you knew him as he was an avid windmill enthusiast and I remember him all the time needing to look online and "see what the windmillers are up to." He loved going to the annual windmill fair and even brought mom and I along to the one in Batavia, IL in 2012 (I think that was the year!) He had only great things to say about all the cool people he met through a shared love of windmilling.

I actually am looking for some assistance in obtaining a half a windmill. I recently bought a new house and have a large space above my mantel that I'd like to put a half a windmill up there as a backdrop to some other things I have honoring Dad. Ideally I'd like something about 3-4 feet long to put up there. I'm not sure where to look for such a thing and wondered if someone on here could steer me in the right direction.
rockingjl

Re: Good Morning Windmill Friends!

Post by rockingjl »

Welcome!
Your mom had asked me about some blades for you when you were in Tucson I think. I am in West Phoenix.
So half of a windmill wheel or Fan, would be the diameter. 6 foot windmill fan would be 6 feet wide by approximately 3 feet tall. You might consider just 1 or 2, 3 blade sections. Have you thought about a section of a wooden bladed windmill? I may have a picture of one
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Welcome to the forum.

Roger took great care and pride in his windmills. While I never met him, we transplanted three of his windmills to Texas in 2018. I enjoyed reading Roger’s posts on the old forum. I think I have the photo of where Roger was rebuilding a Dempster windmill in his kitchen sink, prior to a kitchen remodel from what I understand.

You might try Gregg A. in Stratford, Iowa as a point of contact to possibly locate a partial wheel/fan. Gregg is on the forum and he helped your mother after Roger passed.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

If you want a couple of wooden blade sections I might could help out. Roger was a neat guy and always helpful so I know he would step up to the plate for a fellow windmiller.
Todd

Post by Todd »

Welcome to the board! I knew your Dad very well and visited with him numerous times over the years at Trade Fairs, emails, and phone calls.
I distinctly remember eating lunch with him at the last Trade Fair that was held in El Dorado, KS, sponsored by Chuck Jones. He was a great
guy to talk to and was always willing to help anyone that needed anything. As CTXmiller stated above, Gregg is fairly close to you and should
be able to help you find what you're looking for.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Bfeilmeier wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:47 am Good morning friends. I joined this group to honor my late father, Roger Feilmeier. I'm sure a lot of you knew him as he was an avid windmill enthusiast and I remember him all the time needing to look online and "see what the windmillers are up to." He loved going to the annual windmill fair and even brought mom and I along to the one in Batavia, IL in 2012 (I think that was the year!) He had only great things to say about all the cool people he met through a shared love of windmilling.

I actually am looking for some assistance in obtaining a half a windmill. I recently bought a new house and have a large space above my mantel that I'd like to put a half a windmill up there as a backdrop to some other things I have honoring Dad. Ideally I'd like something about 3-4 feet long to put up there. I'm not sure where to look for such a thing and wondered if someone on here could steer me in the right direction.
I'm only quoting the above so that you can see (via an email notification of the quote) the photos that we remember your dad posting of him rebuilding/cleaning a windmill at his kitchen sink.

I have a lot of his digital photos and photo albums that your mom provided us with for the mills we purchased. I'm happy to send them to you (i.e. the albums or digital photos) if you're interested. Most all images are of rebuilds/projects and a few images actually depict Roger.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Yep! Still Lovin those pictures! lol
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
rockingjl

Post by rockingjl »

lol, awesome pictures
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

CTX, those exact pics & the holiday meals were exactly what was exactly the images going through my head.

Bfeilmeier - Your dad was a very good friend to most all of us here. We all (as I am sure you do) miss and think of him him to this day.
Thanks,
Ed