Need help with an Elgin Wonder Model A

......when you need to get in the weeds.
BreakingWindGuy

Need help with an Elgin Wonder Model A

Post by BreakingWindGuy »

Hello everyone, first time posting on this forum. I am a windmill enthusiast restoring mills as a hobby.....I have two 702 Aemotors, and two Baker Monitor WC's along with a WB 6.5 footer. I guess it is another passion of mine I can't seem to let go. Once you put one up, there seems to be another... I have one Aermotor up and one other WC mill up for a number of years now, the WC I have hooked up to pump water. The one Aermotor tower used to have an old 1916 602 on it that my grandfather bought new. He traded a 100 pound sack of clover for it. It bought the windmill, pump, and wooden stave tank for it from the local general store that sold them along with a lot of other things. The store owner was his first cousin. (Maybe that helped?) It still has the name on painted on the tower legs in three places.. . ..just thought I would share that.

I'm on here asking for help because a neighbor friend asked me if I could help him with an Elgin Wonder Model A that he acquired. This is in need of a lot of work and (maybe) parts. I know nothing about these typed of mills. Pretty tough shape but the wheel and gearbox is pretty well intact, and is again useable. Our question is how it all goes together. We figured out the governing system with the windmill weight etc. but need help on the furling mechanism. Also, does this mill "set" on a wooden bearing on a cross shaft in the tower? I think he may have an extra part or two that may have had roller bearings in it at one time. If we could somehow find a picture, I think we could figure it out. There is some info on the Wonder B model, but along with the "A" model, it's mostly just a parts diagram along with part numbers. He only got I leg of the stub tower with this mill, and some tower pieces, and is putting it on another tower, I don't know the make, which I think we might have to do some modifications to make it work.
Is there one bracket on the tower that holds the mill in place? How does the mill set on top of the tower base? There is no evidence of a bearing or race, just the piece that holds the tower top together. ANY help or input would be appreciated. Still digging out from the snow here in central Minnesota, but it's melting really fast! He is hoping to get the mill up and running this spring or summer. I'm sorry for the long post. Thank you, Leon in Minnesota
windybob

Re: Need help with an Elgin Wonder Model A

Post by windybob »

Great story Leon! Enjoyed every word.
Not many Wonders around here, so I'm not really familiar with them. I do have one at the shop, I forgot at the moment what it is, I think it has a counter weight for governing, and it's a self-oiling mill. I will look next time I go down.

From the windmill "bible"... Yours was introduced to the public in 1912, the first commercially successful self oiling mill in the history of America.
Cast iron hood, and a 1 gallon (really) oil reservior. Tha mainshaft in the head goes to a double-toothed pinion gear. 2 separate crank gears mount on their own shaft parralel tp the mainshaft.2 steel pitmans go up to the crosshead and the head of the pumprod, and that slides on wooden bearings that slide on round guide rods.the guiderods and wooden bearings carry the oil up to lube the upper working parts. The crank gears carry the oil up from the sump to the pinion gear and mainshaft bearings. ( it does not say what kind of mainshaft bearings.) The governing happens thru an offset wheel, and a weighted lever. The weight raises in higher winds, and when the winds go down, the weight pulls the wheel back into the wind. The brake works with the tail and is a band brake the presses on the hub. (so the brake lever should be tied to the tail some way). In 1924 The A mill was replaced by the B mill. The smallest size of A mills was 8 foot.

Maybe this will help until others can say something more than me.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Welcome to the forum.

I’m unable to answer your questions on the Wonder A, but I’d believe someone on here will. The below/attached might or might not help.

viewtopic.php?t=1458

A photo I found on-line.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I don't think mine looks like that. But then again, I'm not positive what model I have. (yet)
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Leon I think Steve Adams gave a Wonder A to The Wind Power Center in Lubbock at the Trade Fair we had out there. You might call him. His number is 682-500-2280. Tell him Wayne Rogers gave you his number. I'm pretty sure it was a Wonder A if my old man grain isn't playing tricks on me, but he can answer that question.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Wayne it was a 8ft model A
BreakingWindGuy

Post by BreakingWindGuy »

Wow! Thanks for all the help guys! I didn't think I would get much responses but I guess I am blessed to have whatever leads I (we, my neighbor and me) can get, to get this thing up and running again.
Thanks Wayne for the number. I hope he is okay with me calling him. The picture that CXTmiller sent does look like the model my friend has although we need help with how the gearbox fits into the tower along with the furling mechanism. He may have to either find parts or fabricate something to be able to pull it into the wind. He has some of the parts, but not sure if what he has works with this mill. The tail does attach to the governing weight and braking system and is what Windybob states. That is all there. The furling parts further down the pipe mast are confusing. I think he is missing the part that the pull in wire attaches to, and just how it sets on the lower bearing? Wooden or roller? I had no idea that it was produced from 1912 to 1924. I wonder if there was a year stamped or somehow cast into it somehow. I think we have great leads so far! Thank you all again for your help! Leon in Mn.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Leon Steve won't mind you calling he's one of the nicest guys out there.
Terry

Post by Terry »

viewtopic.php?t=1458
In the windmill library On this forum is this Elgin catalog maybe it will help you.
Terry
Terry

Post by Terry »

I just downloaded a 2nd Elgin catalog
Check it out.
Terry