Pond Aeration

......when you need to get in the weeds.
LoTec

Pond Aeration

Post by LoTec »

Is there any chance the old forum archives are going to made available?

I remember the old forum had several threads about using water pumpers to aerate ponds using big truck air shocks adapted to serve as the air pump. I have a customer interested in having me set up such a system.

I think Ivan Block and Ken O'Brock posted about this. If these gentlemen, or anyone else with experience in this regard, would be willing to refresh my memory, that would be most helpful. What brand/model/size air shock would be a good fit to use with an 8' Aermotor?
PaulV
Site Admin

Re: Pond Aeration

Post by PaulV »

LoTec wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:50 pm Is there any chance the old forum archives are going to made available?
I believe the old forum content will be available eventually..... either by resurrecting the old forum, or by creating an archive of the old forum content. Not sure what Brad has in mind.
PaulV
grezmonki

Post by grezmonki »

http://paulswindmillservice.com/pond-aerator/ This looks like one that you are describing
billcobb

Post by billcobb »

aeratorSetup.jpg
This works for me. Careful, after 100+ psi, you can blow a line. Couple this with air stone in the pond. This is a semi-trailer lift axle spring. Bought it off of ebay. Under 59 bucks.

You can use the 'pull' stroke to compress it or a criss-cross at the ground to expand it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

billcobb- I like that setup.
PaulV
windmillerman

Post by windmillerman »

The day you need the aeration will definitely be the day that the wind is not blowing. The need is greatest in the calm of the evening and night, without photosynthesis supplying oxygen. Best to use a Kasco deicer and plastic pipe float.....aerator Craigslist
IvanBlock

Post by IvanBlock »

Brice attached are pictures of aerators I have been building for the past five or six years. They work well, hold up well and move alot of air. Use in conjunction with a diffuser stone at the bottom of your pond. I have a close up picture of the air bag I've been using, this one has a 5 1/2" stroke. I have several of these out and working on bigger windmills like 10' Aermotors and even a WE Monitor. When using the bigger mills they don't have a short enough stroke for the air bag so I had to make a slip joint so the strokes are matched. Picture of the slip joint is attached too. Any other questions or more pictures let me know...
101_7210.jpg
100_9106.jpg
101_7208.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave Straub

Post by Dave Straub »

Ivan.. Can you give the make of the airbag and the part number for it and who sells it? Thanks
Ken O'Brock

Post by Ken O'Brock »

I have made some aerator pumps out of pneumatic cylinders. They are double acting giving air on the up and down stroke. One system was installed for Dupont Chemical Co.for vapor extraction at a hazardous waste dump in NY state. That one used 4- 4" cylinders and were powered by a 10' 702 mill. Two more systems I installed for Union Carbide Chemical Co. in SE Georgia at a capped hazardous waste landfill. They were 14' 702 mills on 60' towers operating 4 - 4" cylinders that were also double acting. They were pumping air down into 16 water wells that were piped together so that the air bubbled the ground water to oxidize the chemicals in the ground water and break them down. One of these days I'll look up some photos of these cylinder air pumps and post them. They were very simple to make.