Butler Double Gear

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
CTXmiller

Re: Butler Double Gear

Post by CTXmiller »

Couple of more photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Looks like the mast pipe has to be replaced. Is that a easy fix i never worked on a Butler.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Windcatcher530 Dan wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:59 pm Looks like the mast pipe has to be replaced. Is that a easy fix i never worked on a Butler.
I’ve never worked on one either, but it will likely take penetrating oil, heat, patience, a long reciprocating saw blade, more patience, heat, and more penetrating oil. Just guesses… :D. Accepting any provided guidance on that…
windybob

Post by windybob »

I'm not sure if the mastpipe screws out or not, I have one apart at the shop need to look. My bearings were graphite/ bronze. I think some came with different types. The double nut reason is this.....Bearings in 2 halves, need to be loose enough to not bind. Stover Open Gears were famous for this. You tighten the first nut so the shaft does not bind in the bearings, and the topnut keeps the first one from moving. Most of the time the first nut is about half loose. This type of bearing clearance can be adjusted over time. A person can even swap top for bottom, because the weight pushes down on the bottom half. Being as Butler used graphite in some bearings, it would not surprise me if the pitman bearings were solid.graphite. Woodmanse mills (some) had solid graphite bearings for mainshafts. They look like oily wood, and are light, but crumble because they are pressed graphite. Oh the spacers between the bearing caps are so the spacing is good between them. That way the capnuts at least won't be rattling around, it will have some tension. And you thought these things were precision machines! LOL
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Thank you Windy.

If you don’t mind checking your mast pipe to see if it screws in or not. I’m inclined to say it isn’t screwed in, being that a 1/2” diameter carriage bolt is mounted inside the mast pipe and bolts through the main frame of the gear head.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Might be tomorrow. ok?
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

windybob wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:08 pm Might be tomorrow. ok?

Whenever is convenient…

Thank you
Mike Hage

Post by Mike Hage »

I have some extra sails Michael. But I'm up in Canada...
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Michael , you keep your work are clean & orderly , impressive to be so neat .

;)
Mike Hage

Post by Mike Hage »

20220413_170142.jpg
Here is my old mast pipe. It came out easy. It had threads on it however there were no thread in the casting. Your pipe looks in rough shape. If penetrating oil and heat doesn't work I would be tempted to cut it off short and go to work with a die grinder and remove enough of it to fold it in on itself. I have to look for the name of the bronze guys in Winnipeg. I don't think you can get graphite impregnated bearings quite like that anymore. I was going to use aluminum bronze. There are better lubricants available now too that weren't around 110 years ago. My bearings also have a small circle cast into them so that the bearing doesn't spin in the casting.
20201231_123415.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.