what model Aermotor is this?

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
waterPumper

what model Aermotor is this?

Post by waterPumper »

Hello everyone. The search for my first windmill continues. I have interest in one that is about five hours away from me. The seller says it "stands over 38' tall" and "the blade has 10' span". I know that it is an Aermotor but cannot tell from the pictures if it is a B602 or B702. Can any of you tell me what this is from the attached pictures. Any help and info on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Re: what model Aermotor is this?

Post by windybob »

I think......it's a 702, but not positive. Wheel is single rivet. Not sure when they stopped that, and went to double. Request one more picture, either of the hub, or the number on the case.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
waterPumper

Post by waterPumper »

Thanks windybob. So single rivet might indicate that it is older? I have heard of single vs double rivet on the wheel before, but don't know where on the wheel they are speaking of. Where is it?
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

I believe the single rivet was on the early 602s the later one's had two Rivers .
windybob

Post by windybob »

Outer rim, outer clip.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

I’d go 602 as my guess as I’m not seeing the rear access plug for the shaft as notable on the 702.
Windcatcher530 Dan

John that looks to be in good condition for the age of it. The tailpin hole doesn't look wallered out either
waterPumper

Post by waterPumper »

Thanks everyone. I have more pictures. It appears to be a B602, correct? Please give me an assessment of this mill as a candidate for a first timer's first rebuild. I do not know what lies under the helmet, and that's my main concern. If I need to re-pour the babbitt I understand it is much harder than a 702. Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

The gear box is a later 602 with the Ubolt hub. Some of the other parts and wheel are early 602. The tower is early also with the cast clamps. Very nice find.
waterPumper

Post by waterPumper »

If I buy this I plan to haul it home in a 12 foot livestock trailer. My intention is to completely disassemble it onsite (sail into six sections, tower into individual pieces etc.). How long do you think the longest tower piece is? I assume I could haul 15 foot pieces with 3 feet sticking out the back of the trailer.