Aermotor B602 restoration

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
waterPumper

Aermotor B602 restoration

Post by waterPumper »

Over the weekend I picked up this B602, which I believe was built in May 1929. You all were nice enough to help with my questions on another thread with general questions when I was contemplating buying it. Here are the first pics I have since getting it home. More will follow as I get into this restoration. Since this is my first ever restoration expect many pics and questions to come. Thank you all in advance for sharing your tremendous knowledge base.

The first problem is the broken hub. The piece fits perfectly in the hole, so I am hoping it can be repaired. Please advise.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Re: Aermotor B602 restoration

Post by windybob »

Thats' a later model 602, due to the pitman arms, wire ring oiler, U bolts in the hub, and Access plugs in the case. Save the piece thats broken. Take off the pitman arms by pushing the shaft out thru the tops. Then turn the shaft until you can pull the cotter pins out of the bottom ends. Use a screwdriver to take out the oil scraper where the hub is broken. turn one large gear one way, and hold the other. You need to go 90 degree so they unlock from each other. Spread them apart and considering you took the clamp off that holds them in, you can lift them up and over the pedastal.The bar, or (clamp) that holds in the crank gears is held by the one bolt you can see in the picture.In the middle of both gears. Before you start, you might spray everything down with penetrating oil so it can soak in. Don't be too rough on things, they break easily. The hardest at this point is to get the 2 crank gears to unlock. I'm assuming the mill turns freely at this point.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

When you take the oil scraper out and clean it up also take some penetration oil squirt it in the oil valley and take a air compressor and blow the oil valley out if the bearings are good and you don't have to pour new ones
waterPumper

Post by waterPumper »

I was able to turn the the hub just enough to raise the yolk enough to remove the mast screw. Thanks his was done in the field to pack up & take home…..there is no stub tower. So the gearbox is not completely seized but was hard to move thus I turned it as little as needed. I will soak it with PB Blaster next. Since the hub break is not on a load-bearing location, can it be braised, TIG welded or even JB Welded?
Windcatcher530 Dan

Being the hub is cast iron it has to be braised or welded by someone who can weld cast iron.Its a special rod and process to weld cast iron correctly.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Being the hub is cast iron it has to be braised or welded by someone who can weld cast iron.Its a special rod and process to weld cast iron correctly.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I have welded several of those hubs. File down the inside of the break, because it drags on the scraper, and a smooth transition between the pieces is good. I don't think the real pro's would do this with the hub, but I've never wound up with a leaker after doing it. V- notch the outside some, and I would weld instead of brazing. Welding is cooler if you cold weld it.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
waterPumper

Post by waterPumper »

Okay thanks. So my next step is to spray liberally with penetrating oil and try to get it turning easily, correct?
Windcatcher530 Dan

Yes try to get it spinning freely with out talking it apart.Thats easiest.
waterPumper

Post by waterPumper »

The large gears came out easily but the pinion gear pins aren’t budging. I’m tapping them with straight punch through the access holes and through the top. No luck. Any suggestions?