Aermotor B602 restoration

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
windybob

Re: Aermotor B602 restoration

Post by windybob »

Awesome!
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Burt up here in N.Y there is a bunch of 602s and some open gear aermoters.I have pics of probably forty different 602s. Aermoter had two branch house's here one in Buffalo and one down near the city in the early 1890s till? . I've only seen maybe a handful of 702s electricity came in early here.
waterPumper

Post by waterPumper »

The hub has been welded. All things considered I think it went very well. There is some porosity in the bead but we didn’t want to risk melting the Babbitt so we decided to leave well enough alone. I may lightly skim coat the suspect areas with JB Weld to be sure it doesn’t leak oil. The Babbitt held up fine and didn’t melt. Thanks to everyone for their advice on this especially Dan for encouraging me not to remove the hub before welding it and to Windybob for the detailed instructions on welding cast iron. As a bonus the welder had a pump piston and foot (correct terms?) laying around his shop from a previous job & gave them to me. Please tell me exactly what I have here. I hope to set the mill up as a fountain pumping from a buried 55 gallon plastic barrel. Will these pump parts work for that? What other pump parts do I need besides a cylinder & leathers? Where can I buy them?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Glad it all went well! Looks good. You can put some kind of sealer on it yes.

The well parts could be used if they can come apart so they can be leathered up. Measure the diameter, and add 1/8 or so for the leather width. They may be from a 2 inch cylinder. You can maybe use a 2 inch PVC for the cylinder. If the width of what you have measures 1 3/4, then leathers would make it about 1 7/8 or so which would be good for a 2 inch pipe.
Windcatcher530 Dan

John once again I'm glad everything went well. Now are you going to use a pedistal windmill pump or a pitcher pump or hook directly to the pump you have?
waterPumper

Post by waterPumper »

Dan, I would like to copy what Windy Bill has(pictured) but I don’t know the terms for it. I’d also like to use the pump parts I have and the PVC cylinder idea from Windybob is very appealing. Sorry I lifted your pic Windy Bill but it best describes how I want to set mine up. Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

We have installed those systems. When you put in your pipe going back down into the barrel from the tank, put a screen over it to keep trash out of your barrel. Trash getting into the cylinder will mess it up.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

John P , you can get the internal leathers from Leham's Hardware in Kidron Ohio , they specialize in keeping the Amish stocked . See the section "where to get supplies "
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

" Sources for componants , hardware , "
Windcatcher530 Dan

Windy is that well casing probably cemented in on the bottom however many feet deep and then the return line hooks in on the side of the casing? I've never done one like that I always use a pedistal or pitcher pump bolted to the floor with a basin under neath.