Arizona cast iron welder

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
waterPumper

Arizona cast iron welder

Post by waterPumper »

Does anyone know of an experienced cast iron welder in Arizona. Preferably in Tucson but I can travel if necessary. Thanks.
greybuff

Re: Arizona cast iron welder

Post by greybuff »

I have done it successfully on a chinese vise once. I'm in mesa..
rockingjl

Post by rockingjl »

I would check with Jim Blair. If you do not know him PM me for his number, He is active in the antique Engine & Tractor club
arizonian

Post by arizonian »

rockingjl wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:36 pm I would check with Jim Blair. If you do not know him PM me for his number, He is active in the antique Engine & Tractor club
Curiosity. Was Jim Blair a machine shop teacher at the UA College of Engineering 15 yrs ago?
Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.

I believe in Gun Control.

Gun Control: The ability to hit what you are aiming at.
rockingjl

Post by rockingjl »

arizonian wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:32 pm
rockingjl wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:36 pm I would check with Jim Blair. If you do not know him PM me for his number, He is active in the antique Engine & Tractor club
Curiosity. Was Jim Blair a machine shop teacher at the UA College of Engineering 15 yrs ago?
Yes He did.
rockingjl

Post by rockingjl »

waterPumper wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:12 pm Does anyone know of an experienced cast iron welder in Arizona. Preferably in Tucson but I can travel if necessary. Thanks.
What are you wanting to weld?

Send me a PM for his contact info
waterPumper

Post by waterPumper »

Jeff, the hub has a freeze break that needs repair. I have a welder lined up that has cast iron experience but has never welded on a mill. If I find someone with more experience before he’s available I’ll go that route.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

What works for me, is "cold-welding". After it's prepped, and the piece is in the hub, I tack it in several places. A pretty quick tack. Then sit back and let it alone for, oh, 5 minutes, or enough time for the heat to dissipate throughout the hub. Then I just do slightly more than a tack in a few more places, and let it be for a few minutes. 2 rules I use are, don't stay on it very long, and let it sit for a few minutes for the heat to spread out. When it's done, you have it welded with a bunch of 'tacks' for lack of a better term. That's what I do, but remember, advice is worth what it costs. lol
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Windy I'm glad you posted that info cause I told John he could have that piece welded with out taking the shaft out if the welder new what he was doing with out melting the babbitt.my brother did one with out any problems.
windybob

Post by windybob »

No problem. :D
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.