Arizona cast iron welder

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
waterPumper

Re: Arizona cast iron welder

Post by waterPumper »

Thanks Dan & Windy. The babbitt seems to be in good shape. Also, the pinion gear pins aren’t budging, therefore Dan’s advice to weld the hub with the hub and shaft still mounted to the gearbox is very appealing.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Windy I read a piece about welding cast iron once. What you said about several small welds was the way to go. Don't get it too hot, weld and rest, weld and rest.
rockingjl

Post by rockingjl »

waterPumper wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:47 pm Jeff, the hub has a freeze break that needs repair. I have a welder lined up that has cast iron experience but has never welded on a mill. If I find someone with more experience before he’s available I’ll go that route.
Are you planning to take apart the mill and rebuild it? You should be able to find a good used hub. I would be concerned with getting the piece back in the right position and being smooth on the inside where the oil collector rides. Also a Lot of time when the water freezes it fractures other areas besides where it broke. Good luck with your project
windybob

Post by windybob »

Forgot to mention that I put a big C-clamp on it to hold it in place.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.