Tower id

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
CTXmiller

Re: Tower id

Post by CTXmiller »

Challenge 27 specifically for a 16’ and 18’ per a parts list. Not sure if it is applicable to another large Challenge mill or not.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Thanks for that info Micheal i was pretty sure it was challenge
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Thanks fellows. That's what I was thinking a big Challenge. I wonder if Tex Burdick from El Paso could have installed it. He installed Challenge 27s out that way. Might have been a little to far west. It would be nice if someone out that way could save the tower. I'll tell the gentleman we know who made the tower.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

If it were closer, I’d likely be interested in it for my Axtell. Although the angle iron is a little smaller at 3x3 v. my stub angle iron. I hope someone can put it to use.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Maybe someone can relay it to Lamar CO ? for pickup to Waco .
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

mtblah wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:15 pm Maybe someone can relay it to Lamar CO ? for pickup to Waco .
I have plenty 3.5” X 3.5” galvanized angle, other smaller galvanized angle and 5/8 bolts for my planned shorter tower. The stub is 8’ and it was originally on a wooden tower or so I was told. I just haven’t started on the tower, until I get the gearbox back from Topper. Thx
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I was looking at my book about Tex Burdick by Dr. Lindsay and could see the same top casting as on this tower in some of the pictures. The book says he did put some Challenge 27s up in Arizona but doesn't say where.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Wayne i believe I read somewhere he was a distributor for the challenge Co. based out of Texas. A mill of that size most likely had to be put up by a professional i would bet he put it up
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

If you like to read about installing windmills from back in the day, you would love the book. Great Photos. The kind you won't see anywhere else. You can still get it from The Windmill Gazette. I bought a hard copy when the book first came out. Dr Lindsay autographed it. Some where in my moves I lost it. Ordered a new one they are soft cover.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Randy's had a bullet hole in it. LOL
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.