New Member and Unintended Windmill Owner

For New Members. Tell us about yourself.
K.P.

New Member and Unintended Windmill Owner

Post by K.P. »

Hello

My nickname is K.P. from northern Illinois. I just became the owner of a water pumping windmill that is on a piece of property my wife and I just purchased. I'm trying to identify it and then figure out what to do with it. The 8 foot diameter metal mill is partially buried on the ground below an approximate 33 foot tall four leg tower. The gear case and wind vane are still up top and most of the wood decking is still in place. There's a Trahern pump mounted to a concrete slab below. The windmill has spent the past 60 years or so as a gun target. The wife, who grew up on a dairy farm, wants it gone. I'm thinking of restoring it and maybe use the springs on the property to divert and pump water for the future garden. Trying to identify this windmill has been a challenge but I just found this forum which could be my answer to its future. I'm looking forward to learning something new about something old.

KP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CTXmiller

Re: New Member and Unintended Windmill Owner

Post by CTXmiller »

I’m leaning towards a Woodmanse E, but there are smarter folks on this forum than me.

Welcome to the forum.

https://vintagewindmillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=12
K.P.

Post by K.P. »

Thank you CTX, that makes sense. The property is west of Freeport, IL where Woodmanse was based and the water pump came from Rockford, IL. Tower construction, gear case design, and vane all look like they could have been manufactured by Woodmanse.

Loved Waco! At least what I remember of it when I lived in Granbury, TX in the late 80's.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Thanks.
That link I posted above is for the literature section on here and for the Woodmanse section, which has a .pdf parts list, etc.

There are folks on here who can provide guidance and or possibly parts for rebuild. I have not rebuilt or encountered a Woodmanse.
K.P.

Post by K.P. »

Thanks for directing me to that. I didn't pay attention to the link first time I looked at your response. Very cool! Looks like I came to the right place.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Please don't do anything to destroy the "aged patina " it gives the windmill creature , beautiful .
Just my opinion .
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Is it a E or a G. Isn't the only difference the E is back geared and the G is eccentric. You would need to take the bonnet off to know what you have. Either way it is a Woodfmanse, first introduced in 1923, then came the G in 1926.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

K.P. welcome to the forum me myself am not familiar with a Woodmans haven't found one yet up here in N.Y. keep us posted on your progress.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I have some of those. Rebuilt a couple.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I have a G model may be up for sale soon.