Early Jacobs tail vane

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about vintage wind generators, in most cases.
Wind Charger Mike

Early Jacobs tail vane

Post by Wind Charger Mike »

Anyone have an early 2 piece Jacobs tail vane like the one in the lower right of the attached pic? Preferably with original graphics. I’d like to reproduce the graphics so I’d like to get a good photo and dimensions. Thanks
31376F70-9171-4BBB-98F5-B6F45C4FED11.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hwy8

Re: Early Jacobs tail vane

Post by hwy8 »

Is that one of the prototype machines from the ranch in Montanna? Looks like the "differential model" before they "tipped" the blades slightly; I thought there were only a dozen or so made. Paul Jacobs should be able to help you with a photo.
Last edited by hwy8 on Sun May 29, 2022 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wind Charger Mike

That may be a prototype. That would be a great find! I probably should have used a different photo….not many to choose from. The one below is of the Antarctic Little America Jacobs.
9BCE42B5-5BF0-442E-8B5F-641914DEFBDF.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hwy8

Post by hwy8 »

It looks to me like the Jacobs brother's very early experimental model that used an automobile differential with the generator hung in the tower; It came shortly after they tried the multi-blade water pumper type wheel. A small number of the "Model T Ford differential with generator in-tower" models were made and sold to nearby ranchers in Montanna in the very beginning of their wind electric business.
Last edited by hwy8 on Sun May 29, 2022 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wind Charger Mike

I’d say you know your Jacobs….thanks