Challenge 27 started leaking oil

......when you need to get in the weeds.
Kingo

Challenge 27 started leaking oil

Post by Kingo »

My Challenge 27 started leaking oil out of the input shaft today. Does anyone have any ideas or experience?
Thanks
King
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: Challenge 27 started leaking oil

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Probably your shaft bearings need replacement
windybob

Post by windybob »

I don't know much about those. Not many around here. I have a couple, but not had them apart. Where's Walter when you need him. LOL
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Kingo

Post by Kingo »

In the parts list, I don’t see a oil seal per say, it mentions a oil retainer spring that goes on the outside of the front bearing on the main shaft. I do t even know if this windmill has Babbitt or timken bearings.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Many mills don't have a "front seal" . Many rely on slingers, tilted shafts, washers, etc.
Kingo

Post by Kingo »

I figured out my problem. I had a plugged up oil return galley allowing the oil to build up in the front of hub and drip out. :roll: As mentioned above, the Challenge 27 does not use packings or seals to keep oil from dripping out of the front snout of case. Instead it uses a oil conveyor “spring” to push oil to the front bearing and a oil retaining spring ,that is wound reverse to the oil conveyor, that is located on the main shaft in front of the bearing. I believe the purpose of the oil retaining spring is to act as a skimmer to funnel the oil that passes through the Timken bearing down into the front of the hub where it will drain back to the oil sump through a galley under the bearing race.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Sounds good! Glad it's fixed. That's another reason why we use regular red ATF. doesn't sludge up and clog oil returns. Thanks for the update!
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

That's great you lucked out.Keep us posted
Coulteryan

Post by Coulteryan »

I also have a Challenge 27 I'm trying to disassemble. Is there a trick to getting the two small gears off the main shaft?
Specifically the gear closer to the hub, the one further away I can get to slide on the shaft, one closer to the hub won't budge.
Thanks in advance for any input.
Kingo

Post by Kingo »

I had trouble getting that gear closest to the hub to budge as well. What I wound up doing was orientating the gear box so the hub faced down. I then liberally applied deep creep to the stuck gear particularly to the are of the keyway. The gear would wedge itself into the snout of the gearbox. I then used a map(?) gas torch to heat the gear (I just fanned the flame around on it and didn’t hold in one spot). Then I used a brass drift against the threaded end of the shaft and with several blows with hammer the shaft and hub dropped out. Hope it makes sense and works for you