Dempster Motor Housing

......when you need to get in the weeds.
AshtonV

Dempster Motor Housing

Post by AshtonV »

I am new to windmills and just got my first one from a relatives farm. It’s a 6 ft Dempster. Once I got it down I realized that the cast housing “eyes” where the tail hinge pin goes through the housing was rubbed through on the top and broken on the bottom. Since I’m new to this, I was hoping someone could give me some advice on how to try to salvage the housing, if it can be done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Re: Dempster Motor Housing

Post by windybob »

Those can be pieced in and welded. Before you go there, though, start looking inside to see what's in there. Some of those are older models, and are not really great for overhauling. Also, that has around 2 million miles on it. Things on the inside might look about as good as those ears.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
AshtonV

Post by AshtonV »

That’s a really good point. I’m hoping to be able to get it took apart over the next few days and see what I’m dealing with.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Holler back when you need to. those can be difficult. I've often said, if you can understand and rebuild a Dempster, you can do any kind. I have written extensive posts on Dempster building.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Ashton , head the advice from these guys , they are sooooo good they can even fix a broken heart !
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

heed , not head , dah on me ......
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Check the snout on the front of the main shaft also for wear
AshtonV

Post by AshtonV »

Well I was able to get the blade sections off and get the motor inside the shop. Just got the helmet off and took a look inside.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

You might luck out doesn't look too bad from what I can see. You'll know better once you get it cleaned up. Maybe you only have to work on the tailpin
AshtonV

Post by AshtonV »

The gears look to be in pretty decent shape. There’s a lot of grit and grime in the gearbox I’m going to clean out, but nothing seems to look too extremely worn.