Monitor WB gearbox

Need something? Post your request here.
Coulteryan

Monitor WB gearbox

Post by Coulteryan »

I'm looking for a rebuildable, or preferably working, Monitor WB gearbox that could be picked up at the trade fair. Also need some of the pull out mechanism.
windybob

Re: Monitor WB gearbox

Post by windybob »

Remember that all WB mills are 4 section wheels... Also, they were made in either the first type ( '32 to '39 ) which was a long neck model, with 1 ft of neckpipe above the tower top. In 1940 the second type was introduced, which had the turntable on the tower top, and had the vertical tail sheet. This would be the standard, or (shortneck) WB. Each one had different pullin hardware. Both types were pull-IN mills not pull-OUT mills.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Coulteryan

Post by Coulteryan »

This is what I'm trying to replace.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

That is the later model, regular neckpipe. Man that thing is hammered!
Lake Seldom

Post by Lake Seldom »

I have a WB I can bring. Compete and moves freely and has the pull out parts on it. I will post a pic if I can figure out how.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Coulteryan

Post by Coulteryan »

Thanks for the offer. I have sent you a PM.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Ok just for clarity, the one in the picture is a longneck model, everything inside will swap over. The difference is, the neckpipe, turntable, and pull-in hardware. The bottom of the head has a difference, where the neckpipe screws in, the longneck has a different casting has a different profile. I have used longneck cases on regular Monitor tower-tops before by welding two tabs on the underside of the case in the correct spots.

The longneck model has a turntable under the stormstay, as you see in the picture. The standard model has the turntable at the top of the head. They changed this in 1940 and also went to the vertical tail in 41.

I know this is confusing. At this time in history, they were coming out with different improvements, and dropping other models, all at the same time.