Howdy from Texas

For New Members. Tell us about yourself.
CTull

Howdy from Texas

Post by CTull »

Good morning windmill fans from around the world. I'm Chuck from Texas and I am a new owner of an old Baker Manufacturing windmill. The previous owner didn't have much information other than his recently deceased father-in-law had it restored a few years before he kicked the bucket. What I do know is it is an 8' mill with a 4 legged 25' medal tower. It appears to be in working order and is in overall good condition. I believe it was manufactured in late 1930's to early 1940's, just a guess. I will be cruising this forum for information about installing, maintenance, repairs, parts, etc. Being a newbie to windmills, I will have many very basic questions about the entire process. Thanks in advance for any morsel of wisdom that can be shared.
windybob

Re: Howdy from Texas

Post by windybob »

No problem, we are all happy to help. If you can post a few pictures, I can offer up some information about what you have.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
CTull

Post by CTull »

This is what I have at the moment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Thanks! That's a Monitor WC windmill. The W is the model, and the C is the size. On all the cast parts, You will see like WC21 or something. That's the model, size, then the part number. The C is for 8 foot, across the wheel. (fan). Those were made in either a 6 section wheel, or the later ones in a 5 section wheel, which you have. Your turntable that the mill sits on is on top of the tower, which was started in 1940. You have the 'swallowtail' version of the vane (tail) which they changed over to the 'vertical' tail (vane) design in 1941. So, considering everything about the mill is original, it was made in 1940. It has a 6 inch stroke, and not adjustable. Looks to be in very good shape. Before you go taking things apart, it would be good to put it in a stand to sit upright, to look at it from the side. Those mills have a tilted wheel, (and hub and shaft) and a view from the side will determine if your front bearing is good or not. If the bearing is shot, the wheel will not have a tilt, rather will be straight up and down. This would call for work, for a few reasons.
Those mills are called "pull-in" mills, because you pull them into the on position, instead of a pull-out mill that pull to turn them off. Most mills are pullout mills, but Monitor ( named after the warship) offered pull-out mills as an option. The standard pull-in is on virtually every one i have ever seen. There were reasons Monitor did this.
These mills are everywhere around the country, and many sold over sea. Fairly simple in operation, they are pretty heavy, but that has a purpose also.
Parts for those mills are common, and you can still get new parts. Most of us that work on mills full time have a pile of those outback. lol
CTull

Post by CTull »

Thank you very much. Wife and I are recently retired and about to take our 1st extended vacation. I plan to get serious about getting it up in September. Hopefully by then we will have some cooler weather around here. I probably won't do much work or research until then but this gives me a great starting point.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Just holler for any info you wish.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Chuck , welcome aborad the BEST windmill site ! Listen & heed the information these really smart guys are willing to freely share , they "have been there , done that " for years
Have a safe & cool summer up north .
What part of the Loan Star State is home ?
Mike B
New Braunfels TX
CTull

Post by CTull »

Thanks Mike B, I will. I happened across this forum by accident while trying to find information on my mill. I quickly realized I needed to join this group for the reasons you stated. I live in the middle of nowhere, just a little north of Canton, Texas in the northeast part of the state.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Chuck, I'm Southwest of you in Corsicana. Used to be in Smith County around Tyler. There is a wind miller named Jerry Barker in Wills Point. So when you get ready to start working on your mill he might could give you a hand, He is active on this site. Look for JerryB. I'm Wayne Rogers. Been to some tractor shows at Edgewood.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Wayne Rogers? Aren't you a movie star? lol