Baker Monitor WC

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
windybob

Re: Baker Monitor WC

Post by windybob »

The hub and shaft do separate. It uses a tapered key, so pushing the shaft out the front is reccomended. I hate the way those hubs fit on the shaft. They are subject to get loose if a person changes them. Of course new shafts are available. I wish they would make them to come out the front so a person could key and weld them both. I have attempted to weld "down the hole" with decent results. Mostly, shafts and hubs I've had don't need to be split.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
scottrosas

Post by scottrosas »

Okay. When you say press the shaft out the front that means push on the shaft from the back and push it all the way through the front of the hub?. Is there a key I need to remove before I press it out? I appreciate your help. I feel like once I get over this hurdle I will be in pretty good shape
windybob

Post by windybob »

Yes, because the key is tapered, so if you shove it towards the back of the hub, the key gets tighter. Plus the fact that a lot of those shafts are peened over, and trying to shove the peen thru the hub is not good at all.

The reason I mentioned laying the case on its side when torching, is because the slag will drop off the front. If the case is upright, the slag will go under the gear, and really bind things up.
scottrosas

Post by scottrosas »

Well I tried to press the shaft out in my 20 ton press. Everything was looking good other then it wasn't budging. Put a little heat to it and the center of the hub snapped. I guess that hub and shaft wasn't meant to be. Or maybe I made a rookie mistake lol. Onto finding a new 5 spoke hub. Fun times!
windybob

Post by windybob »

If you were trying to press it out the front, you did not make a mistake. Sorry it didn't work. Should be no problem getting a hub. If you can't find a good used one, let me know.
scottrosas

Post by scottrosas »

I have been killing some time while I wait for parts cleaning the rust out and polishing the inside of the gearbox.Do ya’ll paint the inside of the gearbox? If so with what? Looks like the outside of the gearbox was red once upon a time. Thinking of going back with Farmall red. Any objections there?
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

I do not believe that there is a need to paint the inside of gearboxes. I do not paint mine.
PaulV
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Nor me , no paint required , lots of oil to keep things rust free , yes the oil does need to be changed and checked yearly in your windmill .
windybob

Post by windybob »

Red is the right color for Monitor.
Smax

Post by Smax »

Scott I broke my hub on a wb the first time rebuild g one also. i learned how brittle cast can be. TheThanks to windy for getting me on the right track on the second attempt. I may have a hub for you . will look this weekend to make sure it is not a six spoke wc.