Powermill in Wisconsin ID help please

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
Mister Ed

Re: Powermill in Wisconsin ID help please

Post by Mister Ed »

Windcatcher530 Dan wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:44 pm Okay I think I remember the name of the tower I'm thinking i saw some years back i believe it was a monarch. Can anyone get pics of the wheel or tower or power mill this is just a long shot. Thanks
A short thread on a Monarch:
https://vintagewindmillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=739
Thanks,
Ed
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Thanks for the info MrEd the monarch tower cap in the pics you sent sets inside the tower and it also has the L brackets. So it was a monarch tower i remember seeing a few years ago . It's possible this power mill might be a monarch. The tower and tower cap on this power mill reassemble one. That would be so awesome.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Those sure look like Stover steps. How about it Mike? those look like the ones I made you?

Take a rod and poke the ground around the tower. It's amazing how dirt can bury mill parts.

I did have IXL on my list. The sails on the wheel were mounted totally on the outside of the rims, so i kind of ruled it out for now.

Butler tower L brackets for the X braces are cast iron, with a number on them.

Some mills did have ice fenders. Stover was one, on the open gear pumping mills.

I will check on the name Monarch.

You can go here....http://www.windmill-parts.com/ and click on Tower Identification A-Z and see some.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Well, not a whole bunch of info on Monarch, but some. Monarch was made by the Zimmerman Company of Auburn indiana. From 1882 until 1905 they made Wooden solid wheel mills. also, in 1904 till 1909 the made the Monarch Steel Open direct stroke pumping mill. There is NO mention of a power mill with this particular company. However, T. Lindsay did put a picture of one at the heading , on page 574 of the green book.

In 1909 they sold out the windmill part to Celina Mfg Co of Celina Ohio. "The Monarchs New Home" was a slogan. In 1910 there was a catalog published with 135 pages, ans illustrated but only mentioning Steel D.S. pumping mills. Apparently they were still selling items up into the 20's but there is no other info available after 1910.

They may or may not have made power mills. They were many makers producing them, so I would not be surprised if they did. Their literature only specifies pumping mill, but with 135 page catalog, it might be likely.

A catalog is at Panhandle-plains Historical Museum, in the windmill manufacturers Trade Literature Collection , in Canyon Tx.

( the tail in the picture in the book, is similar to the one in the old picture posted here.)
gravel hill

Post by gravel hill »

I took a picture of the west side of the tower top/gearbox this evening...I just couldn't get a good shot early in the mornings. Also a close up of a piece of ladder section I found today...a bit broken but it's just angle and flat iron riveted together. "L" brackets are steel, not cast.
No sign of a tail vane here...loosing hope on that part..
Again, many thanks for working on this mystery!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway..John Wayne.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Never mind Mike. Not the steps I thought.

Thanks for the pictures!
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

I contacted a guy I know hopefully he can send me a pic of a monarch wheel.we will see.
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

What about any part numbers cast into the foot gear? Someone must have some parts diagrams of power mills. That would be a way of at ruling out brand x or y.
Thanks,
Ed
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Windy , your 1st impression was the same as mine . first look at the ladder picture looked like the steps you made .
I expanded the ladder photo and it became clear it is a flat iron step with the end rivit to the side angle .
Mike B
New Braunfels TX
gravel hill

Post by gravel hill »

I wire wheeled the footgear...no casting numbers...Wow, who would cast things without a number or some ID marking...hmmm.
IMG_1909.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway..John Wayne.