Powermill in Wisconsin ID help please

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: Powermill in Wisconsin ID help please

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Ivan I love that plaque. You very well could be right you've done and seen more mills than I have or ever will.My guess was monitor based on the post not experience like you have. I still tell everyone if not for you and Pat Hunt i probably wouldn't be restoring windmills. Who knows we might both be wrong.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Thanks Ivan, I bought a Duplex plaque at a trade fair sometime back. I'll see if I can find it. It doesn't say open wheel just Duplex and where built. I agree learning something new is really having a good day.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Ivan, can't thank you enough for the words of wisdom, plus the incredible history lesson. Write all you want. I'll read every word.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
gravel hill

Post by gravel hill »

Just checking in....Lots of snow on the ground here in Peshtigo yet. Ivan, thank you for telling the Great Peshtigo Fire story! We have a marvelous historical museum here in town. I encourage you all to stop and see it should you ever get up this way. Once we have solid ground up here again we'll lower the tower. I'll be sure to get pics and video... Thank you all for your continued interest in this mill. God Bless.
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway..John Wayne.
gravel hill

Post by gravel hill »

some questions about bolts....When the tower is down I'm planning to replace all the nuts and bolts. What grade bolts should be used? I'm assuming grade 5 is sufficient....or grade 8? Nuts, should the nuts be a locking type nut or a flange nut or just a nut? What's not covered in snow here is mud....frost is coming out so I can't work in the woods....thinking about this windmill project. Thanks.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Able , every tower I have worked on has its origional square headed bolts & square headed nuts , there is very little effort to loosed & extract them from the angle iron legs , almost no rust , still good for another 100 years , no flat washers & no lock washers .
You can still purchase them , look in the resourch section .
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

If you do have to replace some bolts grade 5 is fine. But with the new bolts i would use lock washers.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

yes
IvanBlock

Post by IvanBlock »

Spent a little extra and use Grade 8 bolts, nuts and locks. Grade 5 will start to rust after 4 or 5 years. I've seen no rust on Grade 8 bolts used on restorations from 15 or more years ago...
gravel hill

Post by gravel hill »

Abel from Gravel Hill Farm here; Folks, we lowered the tower yesterday morning. I all went as planned... I will have more pictures in the following days of the mill head.
IMG_0873.JPG
QLYM5631.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.