Powermill in Wisconsin ID help please

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
Mister Ed

Re: Powermill in Wisconsin ID help please

Post by Mister Ed »

That is cool as heck!! And rare as well. IMHO, the only way to do it is to fully restore it. We'll figure out what it is. Not too far from Ivan (member here) ... at least top half of the same state, LOL.

That is unique design ... looks like 2 shafts in the head, and those outer wheel clips are different.

In the first post, can you repost those last three pics? I cannot seem to blow them up.
Thanks,
Ed
windybob

Post by windybob »

I'm not so sure that's a power mill. In fact I would bet against it being one. Looks to me like there is a pumprod swivel under that stormstay. Also, Early H/A mills had a gear on the back of the hub, that would explain the small size of the case? Just thinking out loud.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

In the first photos look at IMG 1850 that definitely looks like a foot gear to me.what looks to be a sealed gear box of that shape is puzzling. The larger hole was probably the main shaft.the smaller one might have been a brake rod of some sort. ?????
windybob

Post by windybob »

Ok I see that (barely). Can't blow it up though. Guess I missed it before. Maybe do some checking later to see what kind of Power Mill was enclosed and self oiling.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Also something interesting the tower cap is inside the tower instead of outside.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Hambones were like that also.
Windcatcher530 Dan

I did not know that. I will make a note of that for my files.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Hambone mills had the bearing turntable under the stormstay. Had in insert for the top of the tower of cast. They work loose over the years, and shims are needed, as they will work up and out. Early "longneck" Monitor mills had it also if I remember. They also had the ballcup under the stormstay. Although Hambones were not longnecks, they should have a bit of clearance above the tower, like 1/2 inch or less.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Thanks for that info I've never had the pleasure of working on one. I wonder if this power mill is a monitor they did like there cast iron. Kinda makes some sense.
gravel hill

Post by gravel hill »

Ed...here's the last three pics from the first post...
Also, the mill is a powermill. My father in law and brother in law have told me some stories about the mill. The granery line shaft actually ran through the wall to the barn yard where they used the windmill to also run a firewood cutoff saw. I have the bucksaw in an iron pile. You would think that with all the stuff they saved in piles here I'd have more parts...geez...
I'll also post a picture of an old photo or two we have on the wall in the house...not very clear due to age.
IMG_1850.JPG
IMG_1849.JPG
IMG_1855.JPG
IMG_1772.JPG
IMG_1773.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway..John Wayne.