Powermill in Wisconsin ID help please

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: Powermill in Wisconsin ID help please

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Are there any parts numbers?
windybob

Post by windybob »

Open Gear mills were supposed to be maintained once a week i believe. Yeah right, maybe for the first month. lol
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
rockislandnut

Post by rockislandnut »

Well I have been scratching my head in his one for a while. I have searched and searched for something looking like this mill. In my search is believe this may be a Eureka power mill. I have found two advertisements the first is an open gear that the frame seems to be similar to the photos and the second advertisement appears to have a cover similar to this mill and the blades have a similar support bracket. The third picture is of a tail on a pumping mill that I think would be similar to this mill. For now I am thinking it could be a Eureka made by Smith and Pomeroy of Kalamazoo Michigan.

Darrin Jantz.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

With no apparent markings on the mill anywhere and the shape of the tailvane I'm starting to wonder if it's a Freeman clipper. Just a guess!!!
rockislandnut

Post by rockislandnut »

Windcatcher530 Dan wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:52 pm With no apparent markings on the mill anywhere and the shape of the tailvane I'm starting to wonder if it's a Freeman clipper. Just a guess!!!
These are photos I have of a Freeman power mill. I dont think this design matches.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Back to the drawing board !!!
rockislandnut

Post by rockislandnut »

Windcatcher530 Dan wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:08 am Back to the drawing board !!!
I pretty sure that this is a Eureka mill. If you look close at the second picture and ignore the tail bracket the main casting looks the same. Location of the shafts and position of the gears appear to be the same as well.
Windcatcher530 Dan

There's a couple reasons I don't believe it's a eureka.The wheel gravel hill posted is not a eureka wheel. His rotates counter clock wise, the wheel bands go through the sails and the sail ties are different. Also if you look closer at the pics of his tailvane it's more squared off in the back where a eureka is slightly rounded.One of my original thought was monarch but I can't find where they ever made a power mill but that's questionable !!! Still Stumped Dan.
rockislandnut

Post by rockislandnut »

One last post to show my thoughts.
Minnemiller

Post by Minnemiller »

I agree with Rock Island Nut. It matches what I see in a Eureka catalog copy. The hub is an internal gear setup and that matches up with the shaft posted with the gears spaced far apart (more than a foot). Also, that foot gear is a dead ringer for what is in the Eureka catalog. I'll get some pics later.