Powermill in Wisconsin ID help please

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
Wayne

Re: Powermill in Wisconsin ID help please

Post by Wayne »

I idea about the odd size. It may have supposed to have been a 14 ft and that is what they marketed as. I had an Axtell ever oil that was 11 1/2. What is unique about those blade sections is someone at the trade fair had the same type sections with those extra connections at the edge of the blades. They were trying to get them IDed. They might have got an answer Saturday but when I left no one had an answer. That wasn't you was it?
gravel hill

Post by gravel hill »

Here's the gears I found and a chunk of cast iron?...Realize they could be from a hay rake or anything else around here. I'll clean them up in the next few days.
Pics of the tower also and ladder. Ladder looks like flat iron rungs and angle iron legs.
I found some markings on one leg of the tower this morning...looks like this to me.. <aB> Peshtigo W.. the picture doesn't show that well but it makes sence to me...the farm was called a couple of names over the 140 years it's been here (all in the same family). It was called Gravel Hill Dairy, Anderson Brothers, and now my wife and I call it just Gravel Hill Farm.
The vane...I'm going to look close at the tin nailed up here and there in the grainery bins...I'm fearfull the vane might have been used to patch holes, we'll see...
Once the farm purchased it's first tractor, farmall M, they used the belt on the tractor for power. I still use this tractor in our haying operation. I'm guessing that's when the mill was taken down but, I'm not sure. Also, a pic of the farm...We love this place.
IMG_E1160.JPG
KYZJ7487.JPG
IMG_1898.JPG
IMG_1894.JPG
IMG_1895.JPG
IMG_1893.JPG
IMG_1903.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway..John Wayne.
gravel hill

Post by gravel hill »

Not me Wayne...I've not strayed too far from Northern Wisconsin yet this summer...
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway..John Wayne.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Okay the shaft with the two gears i would say belongs to the mill. The tappered gear on the shaft looks newish apparently they were going to repair the mill but didn't finish. That shaft is the one that turns the shaft down to the foot gear. I'm not sure of the other gears. Now I've seen pics of the tower up close i don't think it's a monitor but not positive. I've seen a tower with those L brackets tightening the cross braces some years back and if i remember it wasn't a common name. I'll ponder on it maybe it will come to me. And yes that is a beautiful farm
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Windcatcher530 Dan wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:23 am Okay the shaft with the two gears i would say belongs to the mill. The tappered gear on the shaft looks newish apparently they were going to repair the mill but didn't finish. That shaft is the one that turns the shaft down to the foot gear. I'm not sure of the other gears. Now I've seen pics of the tower up close i don't think it's a monitor but not positive. I've seen a tower with those L brackets tightening the cross braces some years back and if i remember it wasn't a common name. I'll ponder on it maybe it will come to me. And yes that is a beautiful farm
My Butler and Axtell towers has the L brackets for tightening. Although, I have no reason to think it would be either of those two, plus their L brackets are on the outside of the tower angle.

I see where IXL had a 13’ power mill.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Michael the mill in the picture what kind is it i don't see a name.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Windcatcher530 Dan wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:09 pm Michael the mill in the picture what kind is it i don't see a name.
IXL power mill
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

http://www.vintagewindmillpartslist.com ... rtrade.pdf

Makes me wonder because of the location (Wisconsin), are we seeing any artifacts of an ice type shielding (manufactured or homemade) to keep the ice off the gearing?
Windcatcher530 Dan

Okay I think I remember the name of the tower I'm thinking i saw some years back i believe it was a monarch. Can anyone get pics of the wheel or tower or power mill this is just a long shot. Thanks
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

CTXmiller wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:12 pm http://www.vintagewindmillpartslist.com ... rtrade.pdf

Makes me wonder because of the location (Wisconsin), are we seeing any artifacts of an ice type shielding (manufactured or homemade) to keep the ice off the gearing?
Interesting thought about the "weather shield".

But I do not believe it is IXL for 3 reasons:
1) The end of the vane on IXLs was rounded on all models (even the original wood versions). From what I can see of the old pics is a fairly squared off vane.
2) The inner and outer wheel bands on IXLs were actually "bent the hard way". The bend was put in with the bar stock laying flat as opposed to on edge, like most windmills.
3) IXL windmills did not have a tail pin. They have a casting top & bottom that goes around the mast pipe (I can notice that in the line drawing ... but only because I have a couple).
Thanks,
Ed