Powermill in Wisconsin ID help please

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Re: Powermill in Wisconsin ID help please

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

Looks like Rock Island hit nailed it to me. Interesting mill. Look forward to hearing more!
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Now I studied the frames better when thier next to each other to compare i see the resemblance.Also Judd has been around windmills for a long time. The wheel was the thing that threw me off.Thankyou rockisland I've been racking my brain. Great job !!!
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

As a newbe to windmills it did not take much time for me to relize how inteligant some of these long time windmiller really are , and willing to share that knowledge with us , and thanks Paul V for the site !
Mike B
New Braunfels TX
Minnemiller

Post by Minnemiller »

Here are some views in the catalog. Thanks Dan but Darrin gets the credit for this ID!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

I would have never guessed the hub would also be an internal gear. I figured there would have been a gear on the shaft behind the hub. Well gravel Hill now you know what to look for keep us posted
rockislandnut

Post by rockislandnut »

Minnemiller wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:20 pm Here are some views in the catalog. Thanks Dan but Darrin gets the credit for this ID!
Awesome pics Judd! Thanks for your input!!!
gravel hill

Post by gravel hill »

OMG! Thanks so much for investing the time and effort to identify my mill! What worries me now is finding any more parts either here or elsewhere.
I'm also thinking I might not have the budget to really restore this. Having a shop cut gears, gears that we don't have a clue about, seems pretty intimidating. Well I still have a good tower and perfect fan blades...it's a start!
Gravel Hill Farm
Bret
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway..John Wayne.
Windcatcher530 Dan

In post #5 i believe the shaft with the two gears are part of the mill. If you find the hub/internal gear making the shaft shouldn't be hard.And maybe a tailbone and vane off another eureka mill would fit. Just my thoughts!!!
gravel hill

Post by gravel hill »

IMG_2544.JPG
I
I think you are correct Dan. The shaft fits the babbit bore and the gears match up pretty well in my hands. This part makes sense now.... The pinion gear un screwed from the head remarkably easy. So now we have a starting point or two for hub/internal gear design also. looking better!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gravel hill

Post by gravel hill »

IMG_7185.jpg
Also...Does anyone have a picture or sketch of the other side of this head. it looks like the tailbone was attached to a casting that was hung on two pins...on the other side of the head must be where the pull-out chain was attached. I'd like to see how that was designed. Thanks!