Newbie looking for specs

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Ragnar1

Newbie looking for specs

Post by Ragnar1 »

I'm new to the forum here. We are rebuilding a water tower barn in Scandia, MN that had an aeromotor on top from the late 1800's. This project will be in the Minnesota Historical Registry so getting the windmill correct is rather important. My job is to catalog what pieces we have and I suspect they are mixed from different times.

Is there a catalog available that shows all the parts a person can purchase?
Thanks
Greg
CTXmiller

Re: Newbie looking for specs

Post by CTXmiller »

Welcome to the forum.

If you post some photos or know the model of Aermotor, there are parts diagrams out there that can help you. If you don’t know the model of Aermotor, then posting a few photos (with casting #s) is helpful to identification.
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Welcome Greg. Sounds like a great project. Post pics of what you have and we'll be able to help you out. There's also some Aermotor documentation in the library section that may be of help.
PaulV
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Welcome to the forum Greg. Early aermoter is one of my favorites. I have a lot of litterateur and three open gear models from the late 1800s. Like the crew said pics would be great. Thanks Dan!
hwy8

Post by hwy8 »

Greg,
I've been in that building and somewhere have seen a vintage photo of it with the mill still on the tower: Perhaps Gammelgården Museum in Scandia or the MN State Historical Society can help you there. My vague memory was a large, wooden bladed mill which may have preceded the Aermotor. I live about 15 miles from your site and have machines in the air and on the ground if you want to take a look.

Burt
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Greg , isnt it amazing the amount of help these guys offer !
The most knowleable and willing to share .
Ragnar1

Post by Ragnar1 »

No idea if these are the right pics to post but here are a few.
Thanks all!
Greg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Isn't that an interesting collection of "stuff" .
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Not one hundred percent sure but it looks like two pump Jack's and one sail section
hwy8

Post by hwy8 »

I contacted Greg off-forum and offered to help anyway I can. Like I said, I had been in that building before it was disassembled and moved, and it looked to me like any parts of the wind equipment was long gone. I've offered to go over to Scandia and hopefully, there's a pile of windmill stuff that's been stashed in a warehouse for years. I'll also make sure some of the board members come to my place and look at components on the ground and watch a wheel spin. I'm retracing my steps in order to find a copy of the photo of the original mill on top of the tower and when I find it, I'll post it so we can all have a good look and share some thoughts....

Burt