Hi from South Dakota!

For New Members. Tell us about yourself.
mattshup

Hi from South Dakota!

Post by mattshup »

Hello! Been long wanting to get into a windmill for my yard. Just a “spinner” as I’ve seen them called across the internet. When I was a kid, we had a windmill that pumped water over in our pasture we so namely called “windmill pasture”. Storm came through and ripped the head off the gearbox. I climbed the tower awhile back and it was labeled A602. Heard that was a common issue with the early model Aermotor’s.

Really wouldn’t mind restoring the A602 but I really don’t like the “pouring bearings” thing. Do they sell a retrofit kit for such cases or does a guy still have to send them off and have them poured. I’ve also heard of buying the new gear housing and spokes to convert the rest of the mill over to the A702 architecture.

Also been considering just buying a remanufactured A702 and new 27 foot tower. Thoughts? Opinions? I’m sure ill be posting here lots in the future as I figure out my game plan!
windybob

Re: Hi from South Dakota!

Post by windybob »

Welcome! Yes, the 602 was made from 1916 till 1933 I believe. Only the external parts can be used on both 602 and 702. Some of us around the country re-pour those, but some other folks prefer to just update to a 702 model. SPokes for the wheel are different, but the wheel will fit. The A before the model denoted the size, A is and 8 ft mill, across the wheel. Any part is available for both models.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Cost wise you're better off repairing your 602. I've heard the Amish are good and reasonable for pouring bearings.Check the inside of the gear box for any damages. If possible when you have the hood off take pics and post on forum if you're not sure. If possible restoring history is best.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

agreed .